Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh dear, light is back on, on another thread someone said oil pressure sensor could be the issue. Thing is, I had a leak coming from there just over a year ago, so my Dad got me a new one and fitted it, said it was a really easy job, just gutted that its happening again, and that light will cause an MOT fail, but I thinking i still get it tested on Monday, even if I know it will fail, as then i have a week off work to fix stuff and take it back for a free re-test within a week
Hey Luke, so it is about the 2nd / 3rd time the light has.come on and I know you wish u could jist.look at it and it says what's up lol. You idea is semi sound, just let them check it over at MOT and have them tell me what's wrong with it.

The issue there is
1) This issue could be small, but it could be bigger and your pushing the car.

2) The light could go out again before MOT and you back to "it's fixed itself" and honestly, if it did it once I would say ok fine let it go, but I believe the car is saying something.

3) You could end up paying more, as your assuming that the issue the MOT will tell u it is, is something simple and it would be resolved in 7-10 days, which may not be the case and then your into having a full retest and full price again.

I know you have been to a garage and they said try new fuel, but trying to guess what the light is saying, is just poor diagnosing. I would call another garage and say you have a.check engine light ask can someone scan the car for exchange of £20-£35 (anything less than a second MOT). Once you have this you will know whether it's worth putting the car in for an MOT or cancelling instead of setting off that 7-10 day timer period.

You mention the switch has been replaced before, but again it could be this again, because in your pic it is the wiring to it is oily,.so that may have gotten into the wiring....BUT again this is all guess work, and the eml light will give you much info to start, I see this heading down the parts cannon route if not careful, all for finding out what the light mean

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thank you for your in depth response. Thing is the MOT is already booked for monday afternoon, so I will see if i can cancel it and book in with a garage to get a scan
I mean if you can get in there to the garage, have them scan it you may not need to cancel it. It's just about finding out what the code means, as I said it could be more involved but also it could be quite simple.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Would this work for me ? View attachment 21450
Vauxhall usually need a certain level of scan tool / software, software usually being vauxcom / opcom (I forget exactly at @Koicarpkeeper will know best).

Now I'm going off years and years ago and I did buy a very cheap obd scanner from eBay and it did scan a Vauxhall Corsa and picked up a misfire code for me, so it worked on that occasion , but anything else , it would not pick up. You can try it but have expectations low and be prepared to return it, unless u decide to buy it for another brand of car in your household also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just booked it in for a scan, friday morning, but the guy was a different guy this time, not the one who told me to try different fuel. And he started saying about scanning it and then seeing if they can get parts and sort it and I was like, nah, just tell me the code/whats wrong with it and Ill do it myself. And he was like well you can buy cheap scanners and google the code, and I was like well yeah but they might not be right etc etc

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I am serious about sorting my car, and doing as much as i can myself and learning, but how much we talking for opcom or vauxcom? Cos if I can just take it to the garage and get it scanned for 20 quid then I might rather do that than spend hundreds on my own scanner, then again I might need it again in the future, so yeah, dunno, trying to do this as cheap as possible too

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I am almost amazed at how this garage doesnt want this easy money lol £20 to scan a vehicle and either email the report or take a picture of the code lol. No need for the upsell. Personally this has been made into too much of a big thing, you honestly could drive to any garage and say "sorry to bother, I have a check engine light on my car and i was hoping if i gave you £20 would you be able to scan the vehicle and tell me what the code is please".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I am almost amazed at how this garage doesnt want this easy money lol £20 to scan a vehicle and either email the report or take a picture of the code lol. No need for the upsell. Personally this has been made into too much of a big thing, you honestly could drive to any garage and say "sorry to bother, I have a check engine light on my car and i was hoping if i gave you £20 would you be able to scan the vehicle and tell me what the code is please".
Oh no, I rang the garage this morning and i have booked the car in for a scan now, it was just before, I spoke to the owner, think hes kind of oldschool, spoke to one of the younger guys today and it was booked in and he started talikng about fixing and parts and I was like whoa, chill

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Handwriting Font Tints and shades Parallel Electric blue

We have the codes. The mechanic said it probably needs a new number 1 sensor before the CAT.
So now i know what I need to do, i just need the parts and some tools to fix this and the oily leakage around the engine as seen in these pics:
Automotive tire Revolver Motor vehicle Sleeve Tire

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Grille Bumper

Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design Automotive exterior Metal

Is that the head gasket I need to change or the rocker cover gasket? Or shall I just do both at the same time If im going to open it up

Need to get a digital torque wrench too

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh no, I rang the garage this morning and i have booked the car in for a scan now, it was just before, I spoke to the owner, think hes kind of oldschool, spoke to one of the younger guys today and it was booked in and he started talikng about fixing and parts and I was like whoa, chill
Lmaooo "whoa chill"

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
View attachment 21458

We have the codes. The mechanic said it probably needs a new number 1 sensor before the CAT.
So now i know what I need to do, i just need the parts and some tools to fix this and the oily leakage around the engine as seen in these pics: View attachment 21461
View attachment 21460
View attachment 21459
Is that the head gasket I need to change or the rocker cover gasket? Or shall I just do both at the same time If im going to open it up

Need to get a digital torque wrench too
I doubt you would want to tackle a head gasket.job,.very involved and not something you want to do in your drive way in winter. It's only a job if you.must do it. Start.withbthese.smaller jobs and build up your confiden

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You will need the rocker cover gasket.
Don't touch the head gasket.
Thank you very much, i will crack on now getting stuff
I doubt you would want to tackle a head gasket.job,.very involved and not something you want to do in your drive way in winter. It's only a job if you.must do it. Start.withbthese.smaller jobs and build up your confiden

Oh yeah, just the rocker cover gasket, not head gasket

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Finally changed me lambda sensor, had to buy a breaker bar, socket extension bar, o2 sensor socket, blowtorch and a torque wrench but ive done it and theres no fault light.

Still haven't done the rocker cover gasket or anything else oily, just life and weather getting in way, but MOT is up in a few days so I really need to get it in.

But the more I look the more I find, nearside tyre looks like it will fail, might have to just put spare on to get through mot then buy a new one. But, I need another torque wrench to change my tyre properly, because the one I got from halfords for the lambda sensor is only 15-60Nm, not enough torque for wheel nuts, Ive changed wheels in the past and just gone as tight as I could with the bar that comes with the car, then stuck a bit of metal scaffold on the end for a bit of extra leverage. I had no idea that that could warp discs and stuff back then.

Also the wear is uneven on the tyre in question, so that means tracking or alignment is off? What is the difference between tracking and alignment, or are they the same thing? And why do wheels need those little weights on them? Without them do they wobble when they rotate?

Got meself a haynes book too, so hoping to keep learning and maintaining as much as I can, just wish Id done this in summer

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
not enough torque for wheel nuts, Ive changed wheels in the past and just gone as tight as I could with the bar that comes with the car, then stuck a bit of metal scaffold on the end for a bit of extra leverage. I had no idea that that could warp discs and stuff back then.
You don't need a TR just tighten them until they are tight using the cars own brace then check again when you have done a few miles, do not put a bar on the brace for extra leverage you risk stripping thread.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts