Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh right well thats good, saves me money, thank you
I have to respectfully disagree with this, I have seen it 3 times, where either bolts.have worked themselves loose , or been so over tightened, it has required work to get them removed (causing added costs to customers as the bolts are.no work to remove. Unlikely the second one for you as you will just be using hands , but bolts working loose, could happen. You can buy a good 1/2 " inch torque wrench from Screwfix - Magnusson I believe the brand is.

The metal weights on the wheels are their to ensure they are balanced.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I have to respectfully disagree with this, I have seen it 3 times, where either bolts.have worked themselves loose , or been so over tightened, it has required work to get them removed (causing added costs to customers as the bolts are.no work to remove. Unlikely the second one for you as you will just be using hands , but bolts working loose, could happen. You can buy a good 1/2 " inch torque wrench from Screwfix - Magnusson I believe the brand is.

The metal weights on the wheels are their to ensure they are balanced.

Ok then, thanks for the reccommendation on the wrench. Feel a bit ripped off by halfords, it was quite expensive and only has a low range of setting

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with this, I have seen it 3 times, where either bolts.have worked themselves loose , or been so over tightened,
While i agree if unsure a torque wrench is the best means of tightening wheels nuts but i can honestly say i have been doing it all my life by feel with one of these (below) and i have never had a bolt come loose or strip.

Cross Material property Symbol Font Electric blue

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
While i agree if unsure a torque wrench is the best means of tightening wheels nuts but i can honestly say i have been doing it all my life by feel with one of these (below) and i have never had a bolt come loose or strip.

View attachment 21470
Hey I hear you, each to their own, I would just say, I work on more cars than the average DIY , so I've seen more than the average. But I am always somewhat confused that people don't buy a torque wrenchfor wheels:

1) The torque wrench will be used for other jobs in the future so pays for it self.

2) People will buy a wrench to do things like water pump, and oil drain plugs but things that are arguably the most vital (keep your wheel on) people take that risk , of playing with your own safety. That's why they are invented and torque specs are created for a reason in my opinion.

3) You are making money: Tackling jobs yourself in affect you are getting paid to do them, since your not spending at garage, so if you factor these savings it's.like a free tool. Before any job u do, if u call a garage and see what they would of charged uncan see what money u are making back doing DIY

But in the end the choice is yours , as long as your happy to accept what may or may not happen from having one or not having one, then your covered.

Also don't go straight to Halfords for your tools, shop around, and use a balance of reviews and price to make your decision, eBay, Amazon, Screwfix, Toolstation. When it's a major purchase pcomoare and contrast

·
Registered
257 Posts
I always use torque wrenches and have 5 that range from just 5Nm all the way up to a huge one that goes to 400Nm.

I've had my money's worth out of them over the years.

Aldi do a decent one suitable for wheels for less than £25 when they have them in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I always use torque wrenches and have 5 that range from just 5Nm all the way up to a huge one that goes to 400Nm.

I've had my money's worth out of them over the years.

Aldi do a decent one suitable for wheels for less than £25 when they have them in.
Fair enough, guess it just feels like its stinging a bit because Im doing a lot all at once and gettint a lot of tools all at once, rather than gradually getting them over time

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Failed my MOT on 2 major issues

I have a broken coil spring on my drivers front side

I also have a rusty bit on drivers side which has obviously given way when the testers have poked it (see image)
Atmosphere Water Hood Atmospheric phenomenon Air travel

Plus my 2 front tyres are at the limit, they are an advisory, knew they would be to be honest.

So just a little rant about cars, why are they so expensive, MOT was £48!! Talk about inflation, I remember when it was 35 at the same place when I first started driving.

Also, I have a 2008 Corsa 1.0 L life, its suppsoed to be a cheap car, 2 new springs were £46.54, two CHEAP tyres, £120!!!! and a local, reputable garage have said over 200 for the welding and the other work. Can't believe it, gutted, why is everything so expensive? Seriously, i feel like I can barely afford to live sometimes

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
So just a little rant about cars, why are they so expensive, MOT was £48!! Talk about inflation, I remember when it was 35 at the same place when I first started driving.
Also, I have a 2008 Corsa 1.0 L life, its suppsoed to be a cheap car, 2 new springs were £46.54, two CHEAP tyres, £120!!!! and a local, reputable garage have said over 200 for the welding and the other work. Can't believe it, gutted, why is everything so expensive? Seriously, i feel like I can barely afford to live sometimes
That sounds a lot but if it gets you back on the road its not really too bad.

My son works part time in the next town he buys a bus pass as he is a learner driver these costs £25 a week and gets him unlimited travel in a fairly small area so he pays £1300 a year and has nothing to show for it, he has to walk into town to catch the bus which often doesn't turn up or is late they are ancient uncomfortable and usually quite dirty so when you consider the convenience of having your own car outside your house the cost doesn't seem so high.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Wow,
That sounds a lot but if it gets you back on the road its not really too bad.

My son works part time in the next town he buys a bus pass as he is a learner driver these costs £25 a week and gets him unlimited travel in a fairly small area so he pays £1300 a year and has nothing to show for it, he has to walk into town to catch the bus which often doesn't turn up or is late they are ancient uncomfortable and usually quite dirty so when you consider the convenience of having your own car outside your house the cost doesn't seem so high.
Wow, thats a lot, i suppose my costs dont seem too bad now 😅

61 - 77 of 77 Posts