Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I've cleaned EGR, intake manifold, pipe connecting them, and the throttle.
They all were full of tar, coal, and all horrible dirt. It was really dirty.
In that moment the question came to my mind:

If we letting so horribly dirt exhaust gases into the intake - what is the purpose of air filter in our cars?

Is it just protection of MAF? Or maybe it helps to create a vacuum which is needed here and there?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
The air filter filters dirt out of the air going into the engine that mixes with the fuel the EGR valve purpose is explained below -

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The air filter filters dirt out of the air going into the engine that mixes with the fuel the EGR valve purpose is explained below
This is not the answer for my question.

I did ask what is the sense of using air filters if we letting dirt into the engine through EGR?
What worse than exhaust dirt and tar could come from intake ?

IMHO. It is like people that wear the face masks because of air pollution and smoking cigarettes which are causing even more harm to their lungs than pollution from the air.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
This is not the answer for my question.
Sorry but it is, the purpose of the air filter and EGR are two separate things.

As it says at the very start of the video the EGR valve is an important POLLUTION REDUCTION METHOD its all about reducing pollutants coming out of the exhaust the air filter is to stop air bourn dirt going into the fuel injection side of things.

I did ask what is the sense of using air filters if we letting dirt into the engine through EGR?
You are not burning dirt you are burning gas!

It clearly states in the video -

The EGR valve regulates the subsequent mixing of the exhausts gas with intake air meaning ...................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts