Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever replaced the engine in a Corsa 1.2 2007 Z12xep?
My daughter bought a second hand car a few weeks ago, 5 days in and the cam chain stretched and caused a hole in the piston, so game over. I ordered a replacement engine from a breakers, cost me £426, amongst other bits and bobs, and it was fitted at the weekend. When the mechanic had finished it was discovered that the replacement had a blown head gasket. Breakers are saying mechanic can't have bled it properly and should have undone a valve on the top of the radiator on the left. Has anyone any experience of this? Mechanic said he's been using pressure bleeding for years which gets everything out.
Breakers are sending another engine, but it's like snail mail trying to get them moving. Daughter is so upset, she's been waiting almost a month to get it fixed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Breakers are saying mechanic can't have bled it properly and should have undone a valve on the top of the radiator on the left.
Whenever i have done any work where the coolant has had to be removed then refilled later i have always left the header tank cap off and run it up to temperature that usually does the trick.

I imagine the mechanic that fit the engine has done this many many times before without running into problems, it makes me wonder if the seller breaks cars and assumes the engines are in good working order and you were unlucky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let us know how you get on.
The breakers have agreed to send another engine, but it's done 20k more miles than the last one. We're waiting for them to send it, and our mechanic is fully booked for another 2 weeks, 😩
It's so frustrating 😤

·
Registered
942 Posts
Has anyone ever replaced the engine in a Corsa 1.2 2007 Z12xep?
My daughter bought a second hand car a few weeks ago, 5 days in and the cam chain stretched and caused a hole in the piston, so game over. I ordered a replacement engine from a breakers, cost me £426, amongst other bits and bobs, and it was fitted at the weekend. When the mechanic had finished it was discovered that the replacement had a blown head gasket. Breakers are saying mechanic can't have bled it properly and should have undone a valve on the top of the radiator on the left. Has anyone any experience of this? Mechanic said he's been using pressure bleeding for years which gets everything out.
Breakers are sending another engine, but it's like snail mail trying to get them moving. Daughter is so upset, she's been waiting almost a month to get it fixed.
Hey Deb, sorry your daughter is having these issues, but she will see it is character building once all sorted. The breakers yard for me is talking nonsense abit, there is no way the head gasket went in the few days that the car was out back together, because of improper bleeding. Plus anuly.mechanic knows it is 101 to bleed the engine. Most likely true engine was a did initially.

What you may want to consider but it will cost a few hundred more, is have the.mechanic take the head off & have the head skimmed and pressure tested and then refit. This is the problem with second hand engines sometime you just don't know what your getting. Possibly even see if they scrap yard will contribute to having the head checked and the engine block, becuase it will ensure you are happy and don't come back

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Deb, sorry your daughter is having these issues, but she will see it is character building once all sorted. The breakers yard for me is talking nonsense abit, there is no way the head gasket went in the few days that the car was out back together, because of improper bleeding. Plus anuly.mechanic knows it is 101 to bleed the engine. Most likely true engine was a did initially.

What you may want to consider but it will cost a few hundred more, is have the.mechanic take the head off & have the head skimmed and pressure tested and then refit. This is the problem with second hand engines sometime you just don't know what your getting. Possibly even see if they scrap yard will contribute to having the head checked and the engine block, becuase it will ensure you are happy and don't come back

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Thank you for your advice.
We did want them to pay or at least contribute towards getting the head gasket replaced and for the skimming, as the engine sounded lovely, quite low mileage too, but they weren't interested. They will only send another engine, it's higher mileage but they're fitting a new cam chain to it and allegedly have had it running for a while to check its okay. They tell me it will arrive tomorrow or Friday. 2 weeks later. So very frustrating 😤
Keeping everything crossed that this one will be okay.
Debbie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find that difficult to believe but hope you have better luck this time.
I'll be complaining to the 1st Choice Car Spares search company.
They're a bunch of liars. I've rung the breakers again today, and they said the engine was away having a cam chain fitted, whereas I rang again and another chap said they were waiting for a fitter to come do it. Nothing but lies. Doubt the engine will be here by Friday.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tell them you are recording the conversation next time you phone and tell them you are going to trading standards if they give you the run around that should sort it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts