Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Definately a fuel problem, car started, lumpy and rough as ****. Disconnected cylinder wires separately and the only one which didn't make any difference was Cylinder 3, it took a lot longer for the engine to stall. Started it back up and kept revs at 2000rpm, sprayed some lighter fluid (naughty I know) and the engine purred like a kitten until I released the throttle. This time though it popped up an error code (P0269)... FINALLY!! Cylinder 3 is out of balance, checked the resistance on the injector and voltage on the wiring again and all is good so either injector 3 is fucked or clogged up. I have always used BP Ultimate so can't be clogged up but you never know. Is there a really good injector cleaner I could use before I go down the replacement side of things as getting injectors out of my engine is going to be a pig as I'll have to take wiring loom and rocker cover off.

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
965 Posts
Don’t wanna be a nob and spend your money but given you’ve now found it’s an injector would it not be better to replace rather than a fingers crossed it’ll work repair?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Suppose. Can get a secondhand injector for £40, then an new rocker cover gasket and a tool to pull the seized in injector (it will be seized cause that's my fucking luck)
It's not just wedge it'll burn its time. Getting a bit fed up now of constantly being under the bonnet to think I'm getting somewhere to be kicked back. Thought maybe a purge on the fuel system is about £10 and isn't labour intensive and could sort it. Also getting an injector replaced means I'll need to get that coded in aswell. May just get it towed somewhere for someone else to replace it, it'll cost more but saves me doing it. I'll have a think about that after I've tried a clean.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would try an injector cleaner there are lots about so worth checking reviews they also clean other parts of the system.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Done another compression test today and Cyl 3&4 are about 20psi even with a wet test, so valves are stuck open. My guess is the intake valves which explains the air chopping noise when it's running. Not sure if they'd be bent or just stuck open a little bit. Not sure where to go from hear. Do I rip the cover off and give them a little love tap or do it soak them in something, but then that'll hydrolock the engine or admit defeat?!

·
Registered
499 Posts
If its not costing you anything you may as well carry on as you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Cars is probably worth £2500, minus £1000ish to repair it, I can maybe get around £1500 for the car for spares or repair as theres bits on the car worth some tuppence. If I start taking the head off (not done before) and **** it up it won't be worth as much. I suppose I can do that and learn some knowledge in the process and possibly, doubtful but possibly repair it. So not sure. I remembered yesterday that a day before it went judder judder, pop pop, smoke smoke, I used an intake cleaner but didn't drive it properly till the next day, so my thinking is some carbon got dislodged and blocked the intake valve. What is the distance from Top Dead Center and an intake valve being closed? I'm guessing about 5mm-ish. Maybe the valve isn't bent but pushed in as much as TDC. So maybe if intake cleaner blocked it, maybe it can unblock it. Tried some earlier and it's impossible to get to the affected valves as its pushing out air through the intake blowing all the cleaner back out. Any recommendations to try to get carbon deposits of the valves without removal?
Went through the MAP sensor hole and sprayed loads while the engine off, let it sit for 30 mins and then started the car, revved to buggery and it's smoked like hell. Sprayed loads more with engine on and flames flew out the map sensor hole, that was entertaining 😁. Also the engine ate a 10mm length of the spray nozzle as the intake sucked the tube into the intake all the way to the turbo. Lucikly it didn't do any damage, reckon its stuck in the intercooler somewhere so better take that off soon and check. Anywho, I'm rambling on and no one probably cares. LOL

·
Registered
739 Posts
Cars is probably worth £2500, minus £1000ish to repair it, I can maybe get around £1500 for the car for spares or repair as theres bits on the car worth some tuppence. If I start taking the head off (not done before) and **** it up it won't be worth as much. I suppose I can do that and learn some knowledge in the process and possibly, doubtful but possibly repair it. So not sure. I remembered yesterday that a day before it went judder judder, pop pop, smoke smoke, I used an intake cleaner but didn't drive it properly till the next day, so my thinking is some carbon got dislodged and blocked the intake valve. What is the distance from Top Dead Center and an intake valve being closed? I'm guessing about 5mm-ish. Maybe the valve isn't bent but pushed in as much as TDC. So maybe if intake cleaner blocked it, maybe it can unblock it. Tried some earlier and it's impossible to get to the affected valves as its pushing out air through the intake blowing all the cleaner back out. Any recommendations to try to get carbon deposits of the valves without removal?
Went through the MAP sensor hole and sprayed loads while the engine off, let it sit for 30 mins and then started the car, revved to buggery and it's smoked like hell. Sprayed loads more with engine on and flames flew out the map sensor hole, that was entertaining . Also the engine ate a 10mm length of the spray nozzle as the intake sucked the tube into the intake all the way to the turbo. Lucikly it didn't do any damage, reckon its stuck in the intercooler somewhere so better take that off soon and check. Anywho, I'm rambling on and no one probably cares. LOL
Yeah your numbers make sense. I am in the club of strip it down and.learn in the process, even with head off, you would still make a decent amount on stripping it for.parts, but if you do fix, there won't be nothing you won't feel you couldn't do on a Corsa. Valve cleaning, heard of walnut blasting butaybe other.methida but I would suspect it maybe a a company in mobile job to do something of notorioty as you have tried usual cleaner

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If I do take the head off I'll get all new valves, springs etc and manual labour on the head and manifold cleaning. Only thing I'll be concerned with is putting it back together and getting the cam timing all sorted. It's a lot of hard, time consuming work away from the family at the weekends. Breaking it for parts is easy but selling them will take forever. My model of car is quite rare, not many people buying parts for a 1.7 (A17DTS). Took me almost a year to sell my old M32 gearbox and even that was to a bloke to fit to his Alfa. I found my next car though, soon as my house is sold and I've got into my new gaff I'm gonna get an Audi S3 Saloon, was gonna be a MK3 Focus RS but I've changed my mind, S3 is cheaper and looks boooootiful.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Has anyone tried filling the cylinder with oven cleaner via glow plug hole and then expelling the fluid out through the glow plug hole when cranking, it won't hydrolock it as the fluid won't be getting compressed. Am I being like Trump with his injecting Dettol as a cure for Covid comment or am I on to something? LOL

·
Registered
739 Posts
Has anyone tried filling the cylinder with oven cleaner via glow plug hole and then expelling the fluid out through the glow plug hole when cranking, it won't hydrolock it as the fluid won't be getting compressed. Am I being like Trump with his injecting Dettol as a cure for Covid comment or am I on to something? LOL
I've personally never heard of this s method, but if your user of the science just be happy with any possibile if any issues , a sit could be a.jem. me .perwonally I .not that lucky, I would.look to try find a genuine type of cleaner service and just pay for that, if it works great, if not you know you did an official means

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There is a foaming intake cleaner that you spray into combustion chamber which cleans it out and you crank the engine with the plugs out so the engine doesn't combust it and hydrolock but they only sell it in Australia, there no foaming intake cleaner in the UK. Could use Mr Muscle which works very very well with EGRs etc but it eats into metal and don't want a gasket to get damaged.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oven cleaner didn't work, wasn't that mucky to be honest, so don't think it's carbon build up. Gotta be damaged valves or something.. Car is now officially dead, so I'm flogging it now. Not sure how much for? Spent about £12k since I've had it and pretty much everything on it is brand new :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Oven cleaner didn't work, wasn't that mucky to be honest, so don't think it's carbon build up. Gotta be damaged valves or something.. Car is now officially dead, so I'm flogging it now. Not sure how much for? Spent about £12k since I've had it and pretty much everything on it is brand new :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Sorry to hear your getting rid. Issue is you may not recoup anywhere near that cost as people rarely pay for mods unless your a DIY guy who knows.mods and wants them. First.and.foremost I would say is people gna want it to run on a.mass market level, but maybe you will find a DIY mechanic willing to take on the job but again they will probs want a decent price for it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts