Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then guys and girls, giving some thought to an engine swap in the old 1.2. Now don’t get me wrong, while it’ll never set your pants on fire with it’s performance or economy it does what it says on the tin and with the minimal of fuss but like everything in life you get used to it and want more, so my question is this, do I do the vxr engine swap and get a reliable 180 ish from a stock engine (well maybe a filter swap, exhaust and mapping session) or do I look at something like the meriva/astra j /insignia 1.4 engine and have a bit of fun with that and take it well north of 200? I’ve even thought about the corsa e 115 bhp 3 pot as I’ve seen a tuning chip for 150 bhp with that engine, which to be fair, was a similar figure to what a 2.0 red top was pushing out back in the day and sat in many a corsa c front end! I’m wanting to keep it sleeper so want it looking stock on the outside, coilovers to firm the ride up a bit maybe but keep it looking stock sxi 5 door from the outside. I did think diesel power but again I can go and buy a 1.7 cdti and chip it to 160 ish, but there’s no fun in that, just the idea of a little 1.2 squatting down on its arse then belting off to the horizon sounds really rather naughty!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Now then guys and girls, giving some thought to an engine swap in the old 1.2. Now don’t get me wrong, while it’ll never set your pants on fire with it’s performance or economy it does what it says on the tin and with the minimal of fuss but like everything in life you get used to it and want more, so my question is this, do I do the vxr engine swap and get a reliable 180 ish from a stock engine (well maybe a filter swap, exhaust and mapping session) or do I look at something like the meriva/astra j /insignia 1.4 engine and have a bit of fun with that and take it well north of 200? I’ve even thought about the corsa e 115 bhp 3 pot as I’ve seen a tuning chip for 150 bhp with that engine, which to be fair, was a similar figure to what a 2.0 red top was pushing out back in the day and sat in many a corsa c front end! I’m wanting to keep it sleeper so want it looking stock on the outside, coilovers to firm the ride up a bit maybe but keep it looking stock sxi 5 door from the outside. I did think diesel power but again I can go and buy a 1.7 cdti and chip it to 160 ish, but there’s no fun in that, just the idea of a little 1.2 squatting down on its arse then belting off to the horizon sounds really rather naughty!!
I like the idea of the vxr swap personally

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Will cost you a bit to swap it for a VXR engine & everything that goes with it.

1.4t from a Corsa black edition would probably be the easiest swap but the extras still follow, manifolds, ECU, different rear axle.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know it’s gonna cost but it isn’t so much the vxr engine itself , I mean there’s enough out there, that says either they like hedge backs or there’s an underlying issue with them in the first place. The 1.4 black edition engine does appeal but only has 120 bhp from stock, if I could get hold of the Adam s/ corsa e 1.4 that has 150 from stock then that’d be a better starting point. I feel sure the fiat 500 🙈 1.4 has 180 bhp from stock so maybe even a better starting point as aren’t they the same engine???

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah I know it’s gonna cost but it isn’t so much the vxr engine itself , I mean there’s enough out there, that says either they like hedge backs or there’s an underlying issue with them in the first place. The 1.4 black edition engine does appeal but only has 120 bhp from stock, if I could get hold of the Adam s/ corsa e 1.4 that has 150 from stock then that’d be a better starting point. I feel sure the fiat 500 🙈 1.4 has 180 bhp from stock so maybe even a better starting point as aren’t they the same engine???
You can get the black edition engine up to 200bhp with remap etc if that entices you? That's what I plan on doing at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a tasty bit of power, but then again, like the diesel 1.7, map it and away you go, so might as well just buy a black edition and tweak that, it was the something different I was after, so might end up going down the vxr engine route yet, although the 180 bhp fiat engine does appeal!

·
Registered
200 Posts
That sounds like a tasty bit of power, but then again, like the diesel 1.7, map it and away you go, so might as well just buy a black edition and tweak that, it was the something different I was after, so might end up going down the vxr engine route yet, although the 180 bhp fiat engine does appeal!
Keep me updated I like to know where you go & the cost etc.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something piqued my interest the other day, Honda v tec power, thing is if I go for a s2000 engine, it’s £2000 for a snotter of an engine so bt the time I’ve rebuilt it and custom fabricated everything it’s mega bucks. Kinda leaning towards a z20 let from astra h vxr at the moment, so I’m gonna look into that more closely this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve looked down the z20 let route and come to a decision, I’m gonna go slow burn on this one, there’s a corsa e sting r had a disagreement with a hgv near us that’s had most of the passenger side re profiled and roof kinked, basically it’s paperclips. My plan is to retrieve as much mechanically as I can from it and interior wise the dash is clean and no bags have gone off so I’m going to do a dash transplant and the front end is fine so as time allows I’m going to make a hybrid 62 reg corsa e, essentially a re shell of the e. Talking to a few guys around me, the oily bits are a gonna be a straight swap over as are the shiny bits, just got to find someone near that can make x talk to y so that it runs then if all goes well I’m away after work to pick it up and start stripping it down.

·
Registered
08 1.3 CDTI 90hp, Sky Blue
42 Posts
I’ve looked down the z20 let route and come to a decision, I’m gonna go slow burn on this one, there’s a corsa e sting r had a disagreement with a hgv near us that’s had most of the passenger side re profiled and roof kinked, basically it’s paperclips. My plan is to retrieve as much mechanically as I can from it and interior wise the dash is clean and no bags have gone off so I’m going to do a dash transplant and the front end is fine so as time allows I’m going to make a hybrid 62 reg corsa e, essentially a re shell of the e. Talking to a few guys around me, the oily bits are a gonna be a straight swap over as are the shiny bits, just got to find someone near that can make x talk to y so that it runs then if all goes well I’m away after work to pick it up and start stripping it down.
Sounds like a nice plan, keep us updated, will be following this build closely.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on the 1.0 turbo, apparently talking to a few folks the 6 speed gearbox that’s bolted to the lil ole 3 pot won’t cope with much of a power hike and given how much more torque 130+ bhp is going to produce, it sounds like I’m going to end up with lots of shiny aluminium parts covered in gearbox oil on the floor as soon as engage it with any sort of enthusiasm so I’m now thinking black edition power, maybe from a dead d but quite possibly a dead e / Adam s. Now if I can get the Adam s/ corsa e black edition engine in, I’ve 150 bhp from day 1, then with a cat back exhaust and remap I could well be looking at keeping a vxr honest, then again it might end up bye bye sxi 1.2 and hello corsa e black edition. Need to crunch some numbers. By the way, if anyone wants engine work doing round North Yorkshire try Boggbros.com 01944738234 they’re absolute geniuses and really know their stuff, and some of the cars they have in are pure 80’s filth and 90’s grubbiness if you get my meaning!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts