Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi all,

Not sure if this should be posted under mechanical so apologies if it’s in the wrong place. View attachment 21444

I’m having an issue with my 2013 Corsa D 1.4 thermostat/circuit causing my engine to run at a higher temperature than normal. I scanned it and it returned the code ‘P0597-00 Engine Coolant Thermostat Heater Control Circuit’.

I’ve had a look online and a few past posts on the forum about what could cause this code to pop up, and it seems to be a mix between an electrical/wiring issue or thermostat issue.

I’m not too familiar on how to test a car’s electronics - I have a multimeter but only have a very vague idea on how to use it. I’m hoping someone can give me some advice on how to diagnose this problem and narrow things down. I don’t want to throw parts at the car without checking things first.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

If you watch the above, it shows you on testing the the stat, although with these I believe they should be.cjanged.every 5-8 years either way, due to.corsas.runnimg hot anyway, when they fail the temp does not need to run much higher than usual before you get.an.over.heat condition (search Corsa hidden temp gauge) . They are simple enough to change , so I would see it as maintenance step and swap out for a goo quality part (no cheap eBay stuff)

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thanks for that Everson - I went ahead and changed the thermostat which seemed to have gotten rid of the engine code.

The task after was to bleed the coolant system of any air. I’ve tried my best, not too accustomed with mechanic work. Here’s what I did for anyone to advise:

I ran the car up to temperature with the expansion tank cap off and left it. I gave it a few revs around 2.5-3k to take it to 90-100 ish to help circulate the coolant and bring any air to the top. I then closed the cap and opened it very slowly after turning the engine off to gradually release pressure, and it bubbled to the top (didn’t overflow). I left it with the cap off to cool.

I’m not sure if it worked as the pipes albeit warm were still very easy to compress at idle temperatures (I was told they should be firm). However, as I closed the lid and took the car to around 100-110 when the fan kicked in, I assume the thermostat opened and the hose which led to it firmed up, as well as the others.

Essentially - how am I to be sure I’ve bled the system correctly and do the temperatures sound about right? Could there be a chance that the temperature gauge is measuring lower due to air in the system and in reality it’s higher or something?

Thanks for any help.
The bleeding process is:

1) Open the bleed screw on top of the radiator (there is a small hole on of the cars bumper area - if you tube "Corsa coolant change you should see what I mean) , loosen the bleed screw until you have a steady stream of coolant coming out, then re tighten (do not over tighten - u.may want to Tippex an align mark on it).

2) Turn the car on - I've seen people do this with cap on or off, I do with cap off until temp reaches about 90c then put cap back on, once it hits about 100c it will simply boiler over.

3) With cap back on, turn on blower motors in the car on max and air blowing at you and heat on the max red mark.

4) Now hold the cars revs at about 2500 revs until you hear radiator fan kick in and then let go of accelerator until fan turns off. Do this another 2-3 times. (Feel that the lower radiator hose - (the one that come s.out.of.the thermostat,.this should happen as radiator kicks in BE CAREFUL WITH FAN.FIMGS AND FAN, wait for the fan to stop and then feel the pipe. If that is nice and warm you are good to go.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts