Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Made a start on changing the manifold. First time removing a turbo/manifold on an Evo, so took a lot longer than I expected, but getting there now. Need to order a couple of new bits to finish it fully, but it should be pretty much finished tomorrow.

Crappy nuts and studs, had to drill one off

Took over the bike ramp

Old one off, ran out of light by this time

And a bit of cleaning. Far from perfect, but it'll not be seen again for a while

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is one of my favourite cars on here! Wish I had the time and money to do something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So today didn't really go as planned. The studs are well stuck in the head, so I'm going to leave them bee, don't want to risk snapping one.

So I got it slaved into position, and came across a couple of problems.

The nut won't sit flush on the flange, and the bolt won't fit in the rear hole.

I was kind of expecting it to be an easy job, so got very frustrated, ran out of time and gave up. I pulled the turbo out since it was all but a coupe of coolant and oil lines out anyway. Blanked it all and called it a day, so it's currently sat like this

Since it's all out, I'm going to order a bunch of spares, tidy up some bits here and there, and go back to it all refreshed. But that won't be for a while, got a mad few weeks ahead. Going to get a couple of braces powder coated since they had to be removed to drop the exhaust out the way, clean up a couple of rusty brackets and order new gaskets and banjo washers as and where i need them....

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Nothing happened for a while. After a bit of a nightmare with the manifold, I'm waiting for another. Couldn't be bothered putting the standard one on to pull it all off again, so it's been sat idle for a month or so now.

Have taken the time to clean up/replace a selection of bolts, cam cover has been sprayed gloss black and I was going to replace the HKS filter, but at over £150 I decided to clean it up. The "cage" bit was rusted and the filter minging!

Ordered a new filter from Sumo, and cleaned the "cage" with the dremmel, looks miles better now :)

Finished

Old and new

Got Spec-R coolant and power steering fluid tanks waiting at home, no pictures yet though. And still waiting for some carbon fibre bits to turn up!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Got a random picture of the finished HKS filter. Much better :)

I removed the standard radiator, ready for the arrival of a new Mishimoto one

The standard fan is used for this, so split the rad and fan.

But while I was at it, decided the fan cage/housing wasn't up to standard so I'm taking it a bit futher....

Stripped the fan assembly down and the cage/housing will be taking a trip to the powder coaters for much a better finish.

Cleaned some random tar spots of the fan aerofoils

And these turned up, Spec-R power steering fluid and coolant tank. I planned to fit these, but was fighting a losing battle with the weather and gave up.

Leaving it looking like this.... very sorry for itself, but it will be worth it when everything goes back in!

So the weather, although slightly cold, stayed dry for long enough to fit the Spec-R tanks :coolsm:

And the Rad turned up

Coat of wax on top.

Powdercoaters is still shut, so fan housing still to be done. So won't be fitted for a week or so.

Tax was due at the end of the year, and since it's now an ornament and the weathers pants I've SORN'd it and carrying on with tidying bits up here and there.

The strut brace had bits of paint chipped off and light surface rust, so whipped it off to get powder coated, while uming and arring about what colour to go for.... I looked into replacing it with an aftermarket one. Still not sure what I'm going to do yet tbh, no rush anway.

Obligatory clean, polish and wax

Now looking like this!

Then this became a bit more obvious. It's been bugging me for a while and I've just never really done much about it!

Off it came, this picture was mainly to remind me how it went together!

Split it all down ready to clean it up, some before pictures.

Same process for all the bits, my painting/spraying skills leave a lot to be desired, I wish I was better at it. Dremmel

Primered:

I also gave the bolt heads a lick of hammerite to make them a little easier on the eye

And drying after lacquering. The finish isn't perfect but they're hardly on show, if they were I'd have left it to the pros, much better than before anyway:

Re-assembled, ready to fit tomorrow :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Not updated this for a while:

Brace got fitted:

And this finally turned up!

Pulled the turbo out and mounted it. Fitted it all into place on the head to check it was going to fit properly, and guess what?! Nope, still not right! God knows what these guys use as a jig? Plastercine maybe?

It's now lifted the turbo from it's original position, meaning the oil supply from the head is out

The turbo bracket doesn't fit

The oil return doesn't reach the sump

And the exhaust is very close to the sump!

Majorly disappointed after the length of time I had to wait, I though it would be better than that!

Looked like this again

So the Sheepy manifold went back, totally fed up and frustrated with it. Safe to say I won't be using them again!

Ordered a JMF one from Ross, and guess what, fitted first time, perfectly. So for the first time since October it's running, taxed and ready to go..... ish. The PAS pump is squealing like a good'en pretty sure it needs bleeding post tank change, so that'll be done very soon.

Needs a new intercooler as it had filled with water while its been sat, all pipes were blanked so it must have a crack in it. Mishimoto replacement was been ordered. So nice to have it all back together and working just in time for summer. Still have lots I'd like to do, but for now I just want to iron out the little niggles and do some driving :)

Pictures:

Also fitted my carbon rear bumper extensions and heko wind deflectors:

41 - 60 of 79 Posts