Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fitting Hertz DSK165s to the doors, managed to get everything in, wired up, but only one speaker will work at a time running from the amp - its definitley not the speaker or the wiring as i have swapped them round at the amp end of things then the other one starts to work and get nothing through the second one

not sure if this is a resistance issue but i have tried 2 different 2-channel amps one a 550W hellfire amp and the other an old JBL GTO 2-channel one, both amps have the same problem, looking through manual and its showing different connection patterns was going to try connect them Mixed or Parallel but wasnt sure if either of these would fix it

The impedance on the speakers is 4OHM (not sure if this is each or between the two just says 4ohm) , however im not sure of the ohmage rating on the amp, each one works perfectly on its own but the amp seems to only give out signal on one channel (both amps did this) , is anyone any the wiser? its been driving me nuts the past 2 hours!! :(

·
Registered
531 Posts
Could always check everything's ok behind the head unit, RCA cable and all that's plugged in right. Other than that I have no idea, all I can think is either the amps aren't powerful enough or not the right ohm-age. Could check the RMS of the amp if you're going by peak power, that's just the max power it can survive a second, so should always go by RMS only. Sneaky advertising ploy when it comes to amps. But tbh it shouldn't be that because JBL are all decent quality.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jbl amp is a gto 075.2 , resistance is rated at 4ohm for the amp on bridged or 2ohm for each channel on 2 channel mode - i have no idea about resistance ratings but wouldnt have thought this would only cause one to work - and the amp should be powerful enough the peak power of the hertz speakers is only 165w and was running a 1000w jbl gto sub so i wouldnt have thought it could be that either, re-ran all the wires, re made all connections - ive literally no idea...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i was to run one speaker bridged and then stack the other one on top of it still bridged would this have any negative impact on anything? know its not the normal way but dont seem to be getting anywhere like this! :(

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm not an expert on these things but know a fair bit. I'd say that would have a negative impact on a lot tbh and really wouldn't recommend it at all. The only thing I can suggest is finding someone with an amp you can borrow to test if it's just your 2 amps

·
Registered
531 Posts
Technically running 4ohm speakers through a 2ohm output will only effect quality and shouldn't stop the speaker working at all. Could also check head unit preferences such as which side the sound comes out, left or right. That could be a factor, also it could be settings on the amp itself or just simply a dodgy amp. Sounds as if it's that 1 output terminal on the amp that's not working so I would usually say that's most likely the problem, but if 2 different amps are having the same problem, then I have no idea other than what I've mentioned

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both amps were doing this, and settings on head unit were all correct, amp was in stereo not mono, channel 1 on both amps was the only one that worked, even 1 speaker alone on channel two wouldn't work - this was true for both Amps, but both are working fine bridged and stacked, which realistically would be the same as connecting in series rather than parallel I would've thought, only problems now is amp is cutting out into protect mode on high volume, been stopping n adjusting the gain every two seconds to try fix it

Had to run sub on smaller amp and think amp may be too small for sub, 1000w gto sub running on a 550w hellfire thing , and the dsks running on gto amp - only way to get them loud as I want but this is a bit of a pain with it cutting out at high volume, shouldn't be ground at ran a bolt through boot floor, read other places it's to do with matching the input gain but turning this down sacrifices a fair bit of volume

Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts