Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

141 - 160 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mot day.

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon, checking bulbs, topping up fluids, filling the car with v-power and going on a long run up the A1, all in readiness for the mot this morning.

Gina was dropped off at 8.30am and I went off to the nearest Tesco for a breakfast whilst waiting to hear of Gina’s fate.

At 9.15am I received a call to say my car was ready for collection and that it had passed with no advisories.

The mot tester actually praised the car saying it was a very clean car for its age, and that I’d done well to find one so clean underneath for its age.

So yeah Gina has passed and I couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah Mot day still has me nervous like I'm. Taking an exam. I here people take the car for a.long run up motorways etc b4 mot what is the purpose of this?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
Basically it gets the cat nice and hot so it clears any soot/carbon out of the exhaust. It’s supposed to help the emissions. I did it to make sure the dpf was clear and wouldn’t kick in on the actual mot test. I don’t know if u actually need to do it, but it can’t harm it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
So the bilstein b4’s are fitted along with the eibach pro 30mm springs.
Honestly in person it is definitely lower and in afew weeks the suspension will settle. In photos though, it’s hard to capture the difference in height with it only being 30mm lower than before.

So for now I’m going to wait afew weeks for it to settle and then I’ll get some pics up that hopefully will be noticeable.

I can honestly say the ride quality feels so much better, it’s rolls less when cornering, and when braking it doesn’t nosedive like it used to before.
I did pay extra to have the front mount strut top bearings replaced, as one was rusted badly and the other one fell apart once it was removed.
So basically my suspension is brand new all round.

I’m very happy.

Tomorrow I’m taking my 18” monza alloys to Dexel to have the tyres removed, ready to be taken to a wheel refurb shop in sleaford very soon. My mate works there and wants the old tyres. I’ll post some pics

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Today I took my 18” monza reps to dexel to have the tyres removed. My mate took some pics of them to show how bad they are.

As you can see, they are pitted, curbed, corroded and scratched. The question is, are they too badly damaged to be diamond cut?!
I guess I’ll find out very soon.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Small update,
Due to the weather and the fact I’ve been doing 70hr weeks again, I’ve not had chance to take pictures of the suspension drop. As you are aware, it’s only a 25-30mm drop, on camera it won’t look much, in person, you can definitely see a difference. I’ll try get some very soon.

The gti monza reps are now at a wheel refurbishing place in saxilby. I spoke to the owner afew weeks ago and he asked me to bring the wheels down. So this morning, I took them in for his assessment. So good and bad news time.

Good news, they can be repaired,
Bad news, they can’t be diamond cut again.

Turns out the wheels have been diamond cut/refurbished before and he said even though it’s a small amount that’s taken off, it weakens the alloy.

So I’ve opted for a repair and complete colour spray.

My alloys

The colour or similar I’ve chosen,

Hopefully these will be ready within the next 3 weeks, so I’m on the lookout for some tyres for them .

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
So after a lengthy search online for some decent tyres for a good price, I’ve managed to find. Uniroyal rainsport 3’s 225/40/18 xl tyres for £61 each!
I’ve ordered them using camskills website.

So all in
4x rainsport 3 = £243.80
Delivery cost = £15.80

Total =£259.60

·
Registered
374 Posts
So after a lengthy search online for some decent tyres for a good price, I’ve managed to find. Uniroyal rainsport 3’s 225/40/18 xl tyres for £61 each!
I’ve ordered them using camskills website.

So all in
4x rainsport 3 = £243.80
Delivery cost = £15.80

Total =£259.60

Looking nice they will

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I can’t wait!
I thought I wasn’t going to see these alloys on the car until winter time, but with the 70 hour weeks I’ve been doing recently, I can afford to get them refurbished and new tyres fitted.
I’ve ordered some new center caps for the alloys aswell, they should arrive this week.

Also this weekend, if the weather is ok, I’ll get the callipers painted.

More updates to come very soon.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I’m shocked,
The tyres arrived at work today and then 10 minutes later, the new center caps arrived.

Just got to wait for the wheels to be done (2-3weeks) and then I can get it all put together and fitted to Gina.

So excited!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I took a picture today to try and show how the car now looks on the 30mm eibach springs and bilstein b4 suspension.

In the next few weeks the 18” monza reps will be ready and I’ll be fitting them on asap.
So another side profile picture will be taken once they are on the car.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
So I’ve just had a call from the guy who’s refurbished my wheels. He said they are all done, they just need the weekend to fully set. I’ve got to drop the tyres off on Monday evening and then I can collect them on Tuesday. The total cost is £230. That’s wheels acid dipped, refurbished, painted, tyres fitted and valve& balanced.
I’m bloody excited to see how they are going to look.

Definitely some pictures to follow before and after etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,015 Posts
I took a picture today to try and show how the car now looks on the 30mm eibach springs and bilstein b4 suspension.

In the next few weeks the 18” monza reps will be ready and I’ll be fitting them on asap.
So another side profile picture will be taken once they are on the car.

Brill how are you finding them now?

·
Super Moderator
4,015 Posts
So I’ve just had a call from the guy who’s refurbished my wheels. He said they are all done, they just need the weekend to fully set. I’ve got to drop the tyres off on Monday evening and then I can collect them on Tuesday. The total cost is £230. That’s wheels acid dipped, refurbished, painted, tyres fitted and valve& balanced.
I’m bloody excited to see how they are going to look.

Definitely some pictures to follow before and after etc etc.

Looking forward to pics.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
The suspension change is night and day. The car feels firmer, sticks to the road better and definitely has less roll in the corners. It just feels nicer to drive but isn’t a harsh ride like my corsa d was.
Obviously my standard suspension was knackered anyway, so I could tell the difference straight away when I collected the car.

Can’t wait to get the new wheels and tyres on, this will complete the upgrade I wanted for Gina.

·
Super Moderator
4,015 Posts
Eibach are simply the best. Tested on the actual cars. Must feel brand new. Those shocks were dodgy as hell from what you were saying. Probably bouncing up over bumps. The rainsport 3’s are decent too. Good for British weather with a wicked tread pattern. When will we see your restored rims?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
I’m collecting them on Tuesday evening after work. I’m probably going to fit them on the car once I get them home.
The colour is going to be a surprise as I asked for a dark grey, but I didn’t choose a specific colour/shade. I showed him a few pictures of the finish I wanted.
But I’m not too fussed, anything will be better than the state they was in.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
The last person to own my car came from Sheffield, very hilly and loads of speed bumps, tram tracks, potholes etc etc, so your theory about the feel of the old shocks, is probably correct.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I’ve totalled the cost up for everything wheel related.

Alloys won from eBay £80
Uniroyal rainsport 3’s. £259
Wheels refurbished. £230
Total £569.

I saw refurbished monza wheels on eBay for about the same price, so I’m happy I’ve got the wheels I wanted, tyres I wanted and the wheels refurbished all for roughly the same cost.

141 - 160 of 224 Posts