Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corsa with a 1.7D engine.

The glowplugs don't seem to be operations. I've tried checking current flow to them by putting a meter in series between the busbar and the cable, and there isn't any juice.

Checked the yellow relay, that works. 80A fuse is intact.

Is there something else that is likely to have failed?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
What capacity is the meter you're using? Glowplugs can pull a lot of current so be careful! Does the glowplug dash light come on when you turn the key?. Use the meter on 12v setting and go between the copper busbar and earth and see if you're getting 12 volts when you first turn the key. If not, the timer relay could be faulty. Give that a try first off and post back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What capacity is the meter you're using? Glowplugs can pull a lot of current so be careful! Does the glowplug dash light come on when you turn the key?. Use the meter on 12v setting and go between the copper busbar and earth and see if you're getting 12 volts when you first turn the key. If not, the timer relay could be faulty. Give that a try first off and post back.
Dash light comes on.

Already tried your suggestion - got zilch (meter is only 10A but has a fuse).

If I use a bit of wire from battery to busbar for 10s, car starts ok (but can't feel any heat on glowplug top).

If the dash light comes on, wouldn't that mean the timer relay is working?

erm - do you know which is the timer relay? Behind the kickplate there is a yellow and a green relay, and a green relay in with the rest of the fuses. I guess the timer relay is one of the green ones - any idea what current rating it would be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have another symptom - the engine cooling fan isn't coming on.

I believe there is a single fuse and wire that runs to the engine and glowplug temp sender, so do you think a fault with this could cause the problem?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Dash light comes on.

Already tried your suggestion - got zilch (meter is only 10A but has a fuse).

If I use a bit of wire from battery to busbar for 10s, car starts ok (but can't feel any heat on glowplug top).

If the dash light comes on, wouldn't that mean the timer relay is working?

erm - do you know which is the timer relay? Behind the kickplate there is a yellow and a green relay, and a green relay in with the rest of the fuses. I guess the timer relay is one of the green ones - any idea what current rating it would be?
If you're meter's only fused at 10a then chances are you've blown it!. Dash light may still light up without putting power onto plugs but you won't feel any heat at the top as it's a coil of exposed wire at the very tip. The fact it starts when you use a bit of wire between the battery and the busbar suggests your glowplugs are ok and you're deffo looking at a relay/feed fault. Can you borrow another meter or repair yours and carry out a voltage test between earth and the busbar on DC volts to see if the relay is giving out voltage. Sorry, no idea which relay it is and the handbooks aren't much use either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meter is fine - there wasn't any power to the busbars.

I've managed to work out which relay is which - there are two for the glowplugs, one for the timer and one for the power to the plugs. Got them out and tested them - they are fine.

Googling around seems to indicate that one of the two temp sensors on the engine is also involved in the circuit - if the engine is warm, then the glowplugs don't come on. This sensor also determines cooling feed round the rad, possible that's why the fan isn't coming on.

The temp sensor has a break in the wire insulation, and damage around the top where the wire goes into the sensor. Tried to get a replacement from vaux dealer - they wanted £77 for it! I thought they'd made a mistake with the parts number, but that's the one. It's just a damn sensor, but 'cause it's an 'obsolete part' the bar stewards charge what they like.

I'm going to see if the one I have is repairable - some solder and high temp silicone might do the trick. Should be able to test it by checking if resistance changes when it's put in hot water.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got some similar symptoms to this! Where is the glow plug temperature sensor? Mine starts but keeps bringing up the fault of general glow plug error and keeps bringing the emissions light on but not putting it into limp mode. Had new plugs and a new glow plug control unit that sits by the battery but it's still happening and vx don't know why! The light only comes on when it's a cold start. The minute the car gets up to temperature and you stop and re-start the car the light will go out and stay out. (stop and re-start as if u were popping into tesco or summat like that) any ideas what it might be? I've really given up now.. Even thinking of swapping to a bluemotion polo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a while ago that I fixed this, so I'm going by unreliable memory.

The glowplug temp sensor was in the oil filter assembly, I seem to recall. As you look at the engine from the front, it's on the top right of the engine. There are two sensors, one for oil temp and one to trigger the glowplugs.

I had great trouble getting a replacement part. Thieving b'stards of vauxhall dealerships wanted £60. In the end I found a compatible plug with a different connector, and soldered the wire to it.

I had multiple faults - a break in the insulation on the glowplug busbar, a faulty glowplug and the sensor problem.

If you are trying to fix this yourself, it's a good idea to get a haynes manual for the car, you'll go mad searching for bits otherwise. Worth it for the wiring diagrams alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts