Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1.2 Corsa 2009 with a bit of an issue with the coolant. The coolant is going down slowly over a few weeks of driving. This is a mix of short and longer journeys. Looks like there is oil in the coolant and sludge in the tank. The oil itself on the cap and dipstick looks clean and no sign of coolant mixing into the oil. Car drives fine and no power loss etc. Timing chain is noisy so I was wondering whether the coolant symptoms point towards the timing chain gasket failing rather than the head gasket failing as I have no other signs of that.

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,245 Posts
Small engines and short journeys will always give you gunk in the cap, they need a good run out and using properly once a month as they don’t get warm enough to burn the condensation off. Engines are designed to Rev up to 5,500 rpm for a reason, so stretch it’s legs every so often, it’s not bad for the environment either, least not as bad as needing a new engine or having to take it to the garage more often!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I totally agree with SxiDave and do this myself as my commute to work is only a short journey, i don't think however in this instance short journeys are the cause as water is in the header tank, i have read about this before and it was as suggested in the thread i linked to -

Had this exact problem before on the 1.7 dti engine , changed the oil cooler and problem sorted .

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,245 Posts
Yes definitely clean all up and do a mini service, oil and filters then every so often go and give it a good run out. Another thing I do is every 3 rd tank of fuel run a tank of v power through, as I do short journeys too but I try and give it a run out every couple of weeks. Strangely enough I get better range on v power and it just livens it up a bit too, makes it easier to drive. 240-250 on regular 280-300 on v power.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Strangely enough I get better range on v power and it just livens it up a bit too, makes it easier to drive. 240-250 on regular 280-300 on v power.
I am half way through my first tank of V-Power and i am sure i am getting more MPG already, i don't seem to have to push the accelerator as far as i used to to keep up with cars, i thought this may be all in my head but as you have also noticed that is god news, i am going to stay on V-Power now as E10 is coming soon and i am not putting that in my car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts