Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had new shoes fitted now hand brake not holding car on slight gradient it was working before , ive tried to adjust hand brake myself but doesn't help any ideas to help or would it be a new cable needed ?

thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
How many clicks of the ratchet before it feels like it should be working?
You will need to bed the shoes in, drive down the road and hold the handbrake on for a few seconds then try it if it still nor right try again.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Had new shoes fitted now hand brake not holding car on slight gradient it was working before , ive tried to adjust hand brake myself but doesn't help any ideas to help or would it be a new cable needed ?

thanks
When you replaced the shoes did you pump your brake pedal. There is the quick way to adjust the hand brake (simply tighten up the nut and the slightly longer way, if you have a haynes.manual it will show you proper procedure, if not let.me.know and I'll upload a picture for you

Ps give this a look for some ideas of what maybe wrong

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh I did exactly the same thing and had so many troubles for a first attempt haha.

I think mine was more down to the drums needing replacing, or maybe I still haven't adjusted them properly.

I must've messed up on the adjuster on each drum because I tighted my handbrake like crazy for it to actually be useful enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it has around 7 clicks on it just now ive adjusted it and it stays around 7 clicks ,i never replaced them myself the guy who did replace them did say that the hand brake cable had been stretched because it had been adjusted previously ,but it worked perfectly fine before new shoes, when shoes were fitted hand brake seemed ok after 1 day i put hand brake on and it went all way up and never worked , then it worked after 2 days and it felt like it had before new shoes now as i said it won't hold on a slight gradient

·
Registered
859 Posts
it has around 7 clicks on it just now ive adjusted it and it stays around 7 clicks ,i never replaced them myself the guy who did replace them did say that the hand brake cable had been stretched because it had been adjusted previously ,but it worked perfectly fine before new shoes, when shoes were fitted hand brake seemed ok after 1 day i put hand brake on and it went all way up and never worked , then it worked after 2 days and it felt like it had before new shoes now as i said it won't hold on a slight gradient
What made you get new drum brakes in the first place and was it just the shoe replaced or did you have a full kit and actual drums replaced ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What made you get new drum brakes in the first place and was it just the shoe replaced or did you have a full kit and actual drums replaced ?

the guy who replaced them was doing other work for me and mentioned the movement of hand brake when applying it he said to replace shoes when he changed brakes he said i needed new cylinders as well ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have just adjusted the hand brake using the bolt and the weirdest thing is when its on and i try to drive forward it holds when i reverse it doesn't

·
Registered
859 Posts
the guy who replaced them was doing other work for me and mentioned the movement of hand brake when applying it he said to replace shoes when he changed brakes he said i needed new cylinders as well ?
Surprising that he didn't just try to adjust handbrake cable first and then see how you get on. The shoes are the "brakes" when taking about rear drum brakes. The cylinders may need replacing, that is something you can only tell by visually seeing if they are leaking or if your brake fluid is low may indicate a leak and again that is one area a leak can occur.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Surprising that he didn't just try to adjust handbrake cable first and then see how you get on. The shoes are the "brakes" when taking about rear drum brakes. The cylinders may need replacing, that is something you can only tell by visually seeing if they are leaking or if your brake fluid is low may indicate a leak and again that is one area a leak can occur.

He said the cable adjustment at handbrake is almost all way up he said the able is stretched to much and needs replacing ,i checked adjuster at handbrake and it has really been tightened if tried to do some more not really helping it does reduce the clicks of handbrake but doesn't offer much more at holding car

·
Registered
859 Posts
He said the cable adjustment at handbrake is almost all way up he said the able is stretched to much and needs replacing ,i checked adjuster at handbrake and it has really been tightened if tried to do some more not really helping it does reduce the clicks of handbrake but doesn't offer much more at holding car
This is what I mean, think you could if save some pennies of him trying to adjusting the hand brake intially and then if it was fully bottomed out , then just change the cables. I mean changing your brakes is never a bad thing, but just for cost and spending wisely , would of been better to of done cables first and then the shoes. As it appears you need new cables that get rid of your problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what I mean, think you could if save some pennies of him trying to adjusting the hand brake intially and then if it was fully bottomed out , then just change the cables. I mean changing your brakes is never a bad thing, but just for cost and spending wisely , would of been better to of done cables first and then the shoes. As it appears you need new cables that get rid of your problem.

Yeah ive no idea why he never done that in first place ,he said you need new shoes i said ok never questioned him

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah ive no idea why he never done that in first place ,he said you need new shoes i said ok never questioned him
Yeah you could have done, not saying you've been taken for a ride or anything, just the logical steps.if you are ever worried what I had to do once was avoid hills here I could, but then also chock the back or from wheel with a proper wheel chock. That way it is hidden but will support car, I had to do this for a week once until I had time to do car, just be sure to leave a piece of paper on seat that hints to what you doing to remind you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah you could have done, not saying you've been taken for a ride or anything, just the logical steps.if you are ever worried what I had to do once was avoid hills here I could, but then also chock the back or from wheel with a proper wheel chock. That way it is hidden but will support car, I had to do this for a week once until I had time to do car, just be sure to leave a piece of paper on seat that hints to what you doing to remind you

there's no way i was taken for a ride as the amount of work he done was immense,2 front shocks springs top mounts,2 wishbones,2 drop links ,1 calliper (previous owner painted not taped properly) ,fit new abs unit (common problem) bleed full system ,new shoes all fitted at a cost of £100

·
Registered
859 Posts
there's no way i was taken for a ride as the amount of work he done was immense,2 front shocks springs top mounts,2 wishbones,2 drop links ,1 calliper (previous owner painted not taped properly) ,fit new abs unit (common problem) bleed full system ,new shoes all fitted at a cost of £100
Yeah well all that for for only £100 is a bargain, to keep him happy I would probably let him do the cables and pay him his fair rate, 2 ISH hours of labour at whatever he charges. My customers I go above and beyond for but they realise what value I bring as they would hate to have to go else where , so they pay it back by paying.my.rates and being happy to. But going off topic abit lol, so in short new hand brake cables needed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts