Premium Member
15,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally stopped doesn't work on any setting :shrug:
Worked fine yesterday morning??
Any ideas?

·
4,463 Posts
I'm going to have a stab in the dark and ask - are you sure all your vents aren't closed? Might sound stupid but :shrug: could be lol.

Otherwise - is the fuse blown? Or has the twist switch come loose of its connector? Just remove the heater panel and check if the white connector is slotted into the switch properly.. Could be that.

·
Premium Member
15,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No mate its as dead as a dodo not making a sound lol? Switch still works ffine. Will check fuse when I get home as didn't have time this morning.
New motor from VX £220 + vat + fitting
New resistor from VX £46 + vat + fitting
Ouch lol they know how to charge at VX lol

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Any way to test if its that which has failed Tom other than buying and fitting ?
Can test see if its the motor by running live from cig lighter to it see if it starts and if it does chances are it will be the resistor, they are a common fault, changed quite a few for people before

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
If you know how to use a multimeter l can tell you how to check the resistor pack.

Does then fan run on position 4 at all or is it dead completely?

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
If you know how to use a multimeter l can tell you how to check the resistor pack.

Does then fan run on position 4 at all or is it dead completely?
+1 on the number 4 fan speed as mine in my 1.2 went. See if fan speed 4 works, if it does then just get a resistor pack off eBay. plug and play job (apart from a screw driver)

·
Premium Member
15,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is the resisitor that was loose iv given it a wiggle and all is well :shrug: so atleast if it happends again i will know how to resolve the issue and which bit to replace,

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Not always the case. Ensure fan is switched off and key is out of the ignition, unplug the plug from the heater blower fan. Set the multimeter to DC Volts and, if it has a range setting, 20volts. Put the black probe to a good earth point and red probe to Orange wire on heater blower plug, switch on ignition and if you have 12v then fuses are ok.

Turn ignition and fan off, reset meter to resistance or Ohms on 10 ohms, leave black probe on earth and place red probe on the other wire in the heater plug, think it's brown. Switch the fan from 1 to 4 noting the reading on the scale as you go, you should have a slowly reducing resistance until it drops to virtually zero on Speed No:4. If you do, your resistor is ok and it's probably your fan motor that has died.

I take no responsibilty for damage etc from anyone following these instructions, if you aren't sure how to set up and use a multimeter then l suggest you ask someone who is.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Cheers for the info russ. I use multimeters every day but I never know how to work them, I just slap it on buzz mode and if it buzzes then I know it works haha

Glad you know the problem Jeff.

·
Premium Member
15,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Passenger side footwell mate behind the glove box, remove the panel if you have one fitted and if you look up behind the glove box you will see the blower motor, its the resistor that lets go if you give it a wiggle it may work, if not you can replace the resistor for £20 odd from eBay or £45+ from VX main dealer,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts