Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My internal fans stopped working altogether, nothing from speeds 1 to 4, so I checked the fuse first, that was fine, then I started taking the motor off from under the glove box (following this video
) and found that the connector that goes into the resistor has blown (see images)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design
Could Igo to a scrap yard and just snip the wires out of another corsa and twist the copper together to make a connection?
Automotive tire Gas Electric blue Auto part Engineering
Hand Circuit component Finger Electronic engineering Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design
Automotive tire Gas Electric blue Auto part Engineering
Hand Circuit component Finger Electronic engineering Electrical wiring

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,404 Posts
White Light Rectangle Font Line

You might find a decent one at a scrap yard but you need better connectors that the scotch lock ones, if you go to your local hardware store and get the screw down electrical blocks like these above and use these. Also get on to Vauxhall and order a loom repair and resistor pack, yes it’ll be cheaper elsewhere, I’ve done the same and ended up going through Vauxhall anyway and get it sorted. The resistor is a true c u next Tuesday to do so take glovebox out and give yourself a bit of room to work then snip, strip connect 1 by 1 with the wiring

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 20850
You might find a decent one at a scrap yard but you need better connectors that the scotch lock ones, if you go to your local hardware store and get the screw down electrical blocks like these above and use these. Also get on to Vauxhall and order a loom repair and resistor pack, yes it’ll be cheaper elsewhere, I’ve done the same and ended up going through Vauxhall anyway and get it sorted. The resistor is a true c u next Tuesday to do so take glovebox out and give yourself a bit of room to work then snip, strip connect 1 by 1 with the wiring
Ok thanks, so is this what I need , just the official vauxhall one you reckon?
Product Font Line Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 20850
View attachment 20850
What ampage do the connectors need to be rated at? I know its 12v running through the resistor but is it 15A?
Light Product Rectangle Font Line

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
These connectors are household mains electric 240 volt ones so 12 volts isn’t going to worry them too much, think I used 3 amp ones but even if you can only get 5 amp ones or more, strip the wire say 10 mm and fold it over on itself, doubling the thickness if you like then screw down tight, just do one at a time, clip 1 wire, strip,fold, tighten, so there’s never more than 1 wire car side bare, that way you’ll keep the fan speeds in correct order!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These connectors are household mains electric 240 volt ones so 12 volts isn’t going to worry them too much, think I used 3 amp ones but even if you can only get 5 amp ones or more, strip the wire say 10 mm and fold it over on itself, doubling the thickness if you like then screw down tight, just do one at a time, clip 1 wire, strip,fold, tighten, so there’s never more than 1 wire car side bare, that way you’ll keep the fan speeds in correct order!
Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, I finally got round to sorting it, so I started by stripping the wires on the new loom
Snips White Pliers Hand tool Wood
Not the best tools for the job but it worked.

Next I removed the glove box as it was bloody awkward to see anything, I had to bend and twist in ways that my back did not appreciate.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Asphalt Trunk Bumper

Then I started to screw the new resistor into it's little holding slot, which was an absolute pain, the screw that came with it was crap, the 5.5mm head didn't really go into my socket screwdriver because it wasn't a proper hexagon, it was rounded. Got there in the end, but the screw didn't feel like it was in the threads properly.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Asphalt Bumper

Then a guy who must have been a friend of my neighbours asked me what was up with my car, I went on to explain and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about, turns out he ia a retired mechanic. He asked me if I'd tested the motor itself and when I said I hadn't, he went in the garage, brought out an old bit of plug wiring and we just hooked it up to the car battery, put the wire to the terminals on the fan and it worked a treat, so that was good to know that I hadn't wasted my money on a new one. Then he gave me loads of tips on using the chocolate blocks and folding the wires, and told me to remove the wrap that is around the original loom wiring to see if they had melted together and where I need to snip them. So thats what I did next.
Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Electrical supply

Started snipping and stripping then connecting with the choccy block, one by one so I didn't mess up
Gas Electrical wiring Cable Wire Electrical supply

Circuit component Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electricity Electronic component

Repeat process and plug it in to resistor
Garden hose Electrical wiring Cable Gas Wood

Then I went to screw the fan and motor back in to the housing, being the idiot I am I couldn't find the original bolts, so I had to bodge it with some random screws!
Hood Trunk Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

After all that, it might not be pretty, but it all works as it should, on every speed!

Thank you to everyone for your advice with this, the old me would have just taken it to a garage and paid far too much to have it fixed, but the sense of satisfaction from fixing it myself and saving a ton of money is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
It’s a great feeling isn’t it, relatively easy job that you know you’ve saved a hours labour with by doing it yourself, so walk tall my friend, walk proud, and take that £60 you’ve saved by not taking it to the garage, get yourself and the other half a takeaway and bottle of wine, and nip round to old fella next door with fish & chips for his help, them sort of folks you want as neighbours!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Right, I finally got round to sorting it, so I started by stripping the wires on the new loom
View attachment 20868 Not the best tools for the job but it worked.

Next I removed the glove box as it was bloody awkward to see anything, I had to bend and twist in ways that my back did not appreciate.
View attachment 20869
Then I started to screw the new resistor into it's little holding slot, which was an absolute pain, the screw that came with it was crap, the 5.5mm head didn't really go into my socket screwdriver because it wasn't a proper hexagon, it was rounded. Got there in the end, but the screw didn't feel like it was in the threads properly.
View attachment 20870

Then a guy who must have been a friend of my neighbours asked me what was up with my car, I went on to explain and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about, turns out he ia a retired mechanic. He asked me if I'd tested the motor itself and when I said I hadn't, he went in the garage, brought out an old bit of plug wiring and we just hooked it up to the car battery, put the wire to the terminals on the fan and it worked a treat, so that was good to know that I hadn't wasted my money on a new one. Then he gave me loads of tips on using the chocolate blocks and folding the wires, and told me to remove the wrap that is around the original loom wiring to see if they had melted together and where I need to snip them. So thats what I did next.
View attachment 20871
Started snipping and stripping then connecting with the choccy block, one by one so I didn't mess up
View attachment 20872
View attachment 20873
View attachment 20874

Then I went to screw the fan and motor back in to the housing, being the idiot I am I couldn't find the original bolts, so I had to bodge it with some random screws!
View attachment 20875
After all that, it might not be pretty, but it all works as it should, on every speed!

Thank you to everyone for your advice with this, the old me would have just taken it to a garage and paid far too much to have it fixed, but the sense of satisfaction from fixing it myself and saving a ton of money is fantastic.
Well done pal, it was meant to be this repair with that retired mechanic coming out and offering you some tips. This is just the beginning of your car fix bug lol. Also well done on providing pictures with the write up. Will definitely help someone in the future.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
972 Posts
View attachment 20868 Not the best tools for the job but it worked.

View attachment 20869
View attachment 20870

View attachment 20871
View attachment 20872
View attachment 20873
View attachment 20874

View attachment 20875

The only other than Ng I would say is poss tape up, wrap or buy some wiring loom plastic sleeving

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts