Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just got home both pipes to my radiator are hot pressurised but the radiator is freezing and expansion tank bubbling like mad throwing coolant out of over flow. So thought water pump must be working with pipes pressurising. So went to see if thermostat shot. In doing so the spanner slipped and it what I think is a sensor next to housing and smashed it off. Any input on any of these would be much appreciated thanks Steve.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi all just got home both pipes to my radiator are hot pressurised but the radiator is freezing and expansion tank bubbling like mad throwing coolant out of over flow. So thought water pump must be working with pipes pressurising. So went to see if thermostat shot. In doing so the spanner slipped and it what I think is a sensor next to housing and smashed it off. Any input on any of these would be much appreciated thanks Steve.
Hey Steve,

Sorry to hear your having troubles, my first initial assesment like you said, thermostat seems to be the issue, as it is not opening to allow the hot coolant into the radiator to be cooled off. With the brown wiring the easiest way would be to solder / recrimp the wiring back together, hoping it's been a pretty clean break. Try taking some pics or better yet a.videomof how things.look and upload to YouTube. If you don't have that you can email me and I'll upload for you.

To keep things easy and free, what I would do:

1) Fill car back up with coolant and then run the car upto about 95c (using hidden temp guage) and see if your getting hot air out of of vents. If not this could be a sign to say water pump if the issue , could also be Hester matrix but you would have wet footwells

2) If heat.comes out of vents, it could be an air lock, not likely but it's a free thing to do bleed the system

3) After.bleedong system if still having trouble I would look at the thermostat and see if it is stuck closed, you would have test it in some cooking oil, obviously take precautions and have the connectors cling wrapped. Your seeing if the stat opens up.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Steve,

Sorry to hear your having troubles, my first initial assesment like you said, thermostat seems to be the issue, as it is not opening to allow the hot coolant into the radiator to be cooled off. With the brown wiring the easiest way would be to solder / recrimp the wiring back together, hoping it's been a pretty clean break. Try taking some pics or better yet a.videomof how things.look and upload to YouTube. If you don't have that you can email me and I'll upload for you.

To keep things easy and free, what I would do:

1) Fill car back up with coolant and then run the car upto about 95c (using hidden temp guage) and see if your getting hot air out of of vents. If not this could be a sign to say water pump if the issue , could also be Hester matrix but you would have wet footwells

2) If heat.comes out of vents, it could be an air lock, not likely but it's a free thing to do bleed the system

3) After.bleedong system if still having trouble I would look at the thermostat and see if it is stuck closed, you would have test it in some cooking oil, obviously take precautions and have the connectors cling wrapped. Your seeing if the stat opens up.

Thanks for getting back. It was the thermostat. Very much appreciated thankyou

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
High everson38 yes but the head had blown aswell. With the car being a 10plate and I only have it for work trips. I decided to get steal seal. Not the cheapest but followed the instructions. That stuff is brilliant. And it worked just took it on a 60mile run. Not a missfire or nothing in fact running a bit smother.

·
Registered
768 Posts
High everson38 yes but the head had blown aswell. With the car being a 10plate and I only have it for work trips. I decided to get steal seal. Not the cheapest but followed the instructions. That stuff is brilliant. And it worked just took it on a 60mile run. Not a missfire or nothing in fact running a bit smother.
Hey yeah whilst I'm not a fan of things like k seal and steel seal (even though heard decent things about steel), I fully understand why you did it, depending on value of car etc it would make more sense, cost effective wise. I would just advise, expect the car to go at any min, could be years left in it, but I mean see it as a.patch, and now if you can just try put a few pennies away each month in prep for a newer replacement in the future so your not caught out.

How did you get on with the sensor wiring on the stat, what u do in the end there?.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was the oil sensor just sent for one soon as it comes going in. Will let you know on here how long it last m8.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have watched a few videos about these head gasket repair sealents and they do appear to work I would definitely give one a try if this happened to my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had it in 2 days now seems like its doing the job. They guarantee it for 2 years. Reviews give it a really good thumbs up.
I will leave this thread open and just get let you know how it goes.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts