1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
503 Posts
Looks very nice buddy.....but 6 years old 50000 and 2 owners a bit hopeful for £7000 in my opinion and he wants a quick sell offer 6 or five and half.....I can't imagine they hold there value that well maybe if he has lather seats you could offer a bit more but it doesn't....well that's what I think :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Personally at 50,000 miles I'd be a bit wary. If you do go for it ask about the cam belt and whether it's been changed or likely to go, because that will set you back at least another £500 when it does, assuming it hasn't got warranty still which is most likely the case. Unless you're a mechanic and can do the work yourself as well, the main cost with changing the belt is the labor. Other than that though it looks pretty well kept so should be alright just give the service history a good look over and do a HPI check to make sure nothing's wrong and I'd say make an offer. Can always make a 6k offer and see what he says, if no then up the offer :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yea it's really good for the age and looks really well kept it's just perfect time for things to go wrong which might be why he's selling, that's the only reason I said be wary and ask questions :)

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
It looks good, but is it? Check service history, how it sounds on warm up, how the power is delivered etc. if all these are alright then go for it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't touch it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Too high mileage mate. I wouldn't touch one with over 20k on the clock unless you know the owner or see it's been properly serviced and looked after.

50k? No way would I buy.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Personally at 50,000 miles I'd be a bit wary. If you do go for it ask about the cam belt and whether it's been changed or likely to go, because that will set you back at least another £500 when it does, assuming it hasn't got warranty still which is most likely the case. Unless you're a mechanic and can do the work yourself as well, the main cost with changing the belt is the labor. Other than that though it looks pretty well kept so should be alright just give the service history a good look over and do a HPI check to make sure nothing's wrong and I'd say make an offer. Can always make a 6k offer and see what he says, if no then up the offer :)
Its a 100K interval on the belt. So 50K is nothing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
50-60k for any car I know, Don't see how a VXR would be any different, and besides leave it any longer and it will snap and leave you stranded at the side of the road and force you to shell out there and then. Much better to get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
50-60k for any car I know, Don't see how a VXR would be any different, and besides leave it any longer and it will snap and leave you stranded at the side of the road and force you to shell out there and then. Much better to get it sorted.
I do agree with you in some respect, however vauxhall wouldn't set the belt interval to 100K if they didn't think it was capable of lasting that long. If you actually see the belts they're pretty beefy, similar thickness belt they use in the newer VAG engines. Some cars are seeing belt intervals at over 150K.

I'd get it changed 20K before though, or if you have any work on the engine that requires the belt coming off.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's really good if it does last longer but that's why I said ask the seller and read through the service history. The belt is one of the sure things to go wrong on any car and is almost like a time bomb... it will go off it's just a case of when, and when it does it's gonna be costly so best to just check and make sure. I personally wouldn't ever overlook the belt with a car at 50k just because people can claim it lasts for such and such but in reality, it's always gonna be that risk, and it's only another 30k miles until you hit that 80k anyway so it's gonna be an issue sooner than a lot of cars you could buy for 7k.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
It's really good if it does last longer but that's why I said ask the seller and read through the service history. The belt is one of the sure things to go wrong on any car and is almost like a time bomb... it will go off it's just a case of when, and when it does it's gonna be costly so best to just check and make sure. I personally wouldn't ever overlook the belt with a car at 50k just because people can claim it lasts for such and such but in reality, it's always gonna be that risk, and it's only another 30k miles until you hit that 80k anyway so it's gonna be an issue sooner than a lot of cars you could buy for 7k.
Only 30K?! :lmao:

It would take me 3 years to do that kinda mileage..

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've done 20k in half a year before lol, really depends on needs, like everything. If you drive a long way to work everyday it soon adds up, obviously 30k will take a while lol but 30k isn't much compared to the 60k possible miles you can get with a £7k car, or even 80k possible miles depending on the car and how new it is. Like I say, be wary because what do you lose by being cautious? OP can do what he likes at the end of the day, I'm not telling him what to do and what not to do just giving friendly advice, because if it was me I'd tread very carefully with any car over 50k miles, simply because I've seen some decent looking cars fall to pieces around that mark, and he asked for advice. Better to know what can happen and prepare for it than not have a clue and then have it shoved in your face when you break down at the side of the road and get given a bill for £500+, don't ya think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts