Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Surely to goodness, might want a bit of heat and/or technical persuasion with a f.b hammer if it doesn’t shift with the press

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just get mixed answers on Google. Some say 12T is enough and others say you need at least 20T. But the 20T are like £150 more than a 12T press. Not sure if to take the risk or not.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Just might be worth ringing a few up, Draper, sealey and the like and asking them to see what they supply garages etc and go from there, suppose the other option is look at some second hand ones off eBay, it’ll mean going to see them to check they’re ok and not twisted or leaking but even a leaky ram can be repaired relatively cheaply. I don’t know how much a new 12 t one is but I’d like to think you could get a 20 t one second hand, and go through it and still have enough for a couple of new bearings. Just a thought

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
It’ll break the seal of the bearing in the housing as one metal heats up quicker than the other allowing some movement, one will be glowing orange and the other will be still realatively cool creating a gap th engineer the bearing out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was gonna put the bearing in the freezer beforehand. I bought a 12T press in the end, the bearing was replaced 10 months ago so I doubt it'll be a pig to get out (probably just jinxed it now saying that). If not I'll buy a 20t bottle jack which are cheap enough and swap them over. Literally bought all the tools incl press and bearing and was only £4 more than what vauxhall would have charged for a bearing change. Would go to an independent garage and pay ALOT less but they'd put it in their way and not the genuine way, if that makes sense. Now I can replace my other bearings when needed and now I'd be able to overhaul my old gearbox to sell, make my money back rather easy.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Always nice to get a bit of money back on something like that, not only are you getting it back on the saving from a vx bearing change, the next time one goes it’s paid again and the gearbox will get you a bit back too. Fair comment on swapping the press for a 20 t jack if it needed a bit more ‘brutality’ as long as the press frame is strong enough to do 20 t as the bearing might not be the only thing that goes with a crack!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly my thinking, save loads of tuppence in the long run. I bought a gen2 gearbox the other week, cleaned it up and sprayed it and it looks lush now, gonna get the bearings done and put that in and I'll do the same to my current gen1 box and flog it. I was thinking that the frame might not take a 20t press but I built the press earlier and it's very sturdy, so I can't see it being a problem, the only downside with the press is that the jack isn't secured to the frame so I drilled a few holes and screwed it in. Wanna try it out now but still waiting on the bearing and ABS sensor to turn up, hopefully tomorrow. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly but never does when I try to repair something for the 1st time.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Gallons of wd40, plenty of tea and large amounts of throwing spanner’s from one end to the other and swearing usualy the case when working on cars anyway, at least vx bolts don’t break often unlike some cheap pig metal that wouldn’t be out of place on a kids toy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts