Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’m new to the corsa D. Purchased one in February. But as of late. It’s started losing oil. It doesn’t seem to be leaking. And I’m not seeing smoke out the back. It’s an odd one. I’m not the most mechanically minded. But I know a few basic things. One of the symptoms a of this is when you pass 2500rph you can hear a rattle of some sort. But if you stop the ignition and start her up again this symptom disappears until it decides to randomly show up again.
another symptom is when it’s running low without the instruments telling me so is that it sounds like a diesel on tick over (it’s a 1.4 SXi 2008). A sort of ticking noise. Again something that you can remedy temporarily if you stop and restart The engine. It seems to drink about a litre of oil every 300-400 miles. Like I say I’m no expert but if a car is drinking that much in a short time to me that indicates a big problem. Or one that can quickly escalate. I’m hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can tell me it’s not as bad as I think And it’s a simple fix such as a good service or along those lines. Appreciate any feedback
Thank you

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Did you purchase it from a garage? If you did, and you’ve bought from them before, they might investigate under warranty, assuming it’s late feb when you got it, most garages give a 3 month warranty, so it’s now late may, so be sharp and get it booked in with them. If it’s a private sale then you may be able to purchase a private warranty from someone like warranty wise, don’t purchase it then put a claim in the week after, these people aren’t stupid they’ll think you got the warranty knowing there was something wrong with the car so if you do go down that route, but leave it a month or so before you claim for anything. Bearing in mind this may be an old engine with some miles on it or it’s been thrashed or run short of oil in the past it might be worth looking for a decent low mileage engine from a breakers yard (scrappy) and having that fitted. The less electronics there is on the engine the easier it will be to swap. Like you say the oil is going somewhere so perhaps something along the lines of an engine flush or some oil additive might help, the fact that it clears itself if you switch off the engine and start it again says it’s a build up of pressure or something like that, when is it due it’s mot as if it’s burning oil or doing something that it shouldn’t would show up on the emissions. ‘Tis a difficult one tbh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you purchase it from a garage? If you did, and you’ve bought from them before, they might investigate under warranty, assuming it’s late feb when you got it, most garages give a 3 month warranty, so it’s now late may, so be sharp and get it booked in with them. If it’s a private sale then you may be able to purchase a private warranty from someone like warranty wise, don’t purchase it then put a claim in the week after, these people aren’t stupid they’ll think you got the warranty knowing there was something wrong with the car so if you do go down that route, but leave it a month or so before you claim for anything. Bearing in mind this may be an old engine with some miles on it or it’s been thrashed or run short of oil in the past it might be worth looking for a decent low mileage engine from a breakers yard (scrappy) and having that fitted. The less electronics there is on the engine the easier it will be to swap. Like you say the oil is going somewhere so perhaps something along the lines of an engine flush or some oil additive might help, the fact that it clears itself if you switch off the engine and start it again says it’s a build up of pressure or something like that, when is it due it’s mot as if it’s burning oil or doing something that it shouldn’t would show up on the emissions. ‘Tis a difficult one tbh
Thank you. Unfortunately it was a private sale. I’ve only really thought about a quick/cheap fix on the car. The mileage is just over 100k which is a bit steep. But overall seems to run quite well despite the oil issue. Once oil is actually added these noises it makes disappear until she’s thirsty again. But again thank you. I’m going to explore the cheap options first. Despite mileage and age I’m actually quite fond of the car. So before I even consider major surgery I’m going to see if the latter options work. I’ll keep you posted....

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I suppose 100k seems a bit high to some but 12 years old, 8,000 a year isn’t excessive, bearing in mind some do 20k a year. Might be an idea to use the next grade thicker oil, see if that helps, as it’ll take longer to warm, longer to burn off if it’s burning off and it’ll stick to the shiny bits better inside, I’d be tempted to change the oil filter too but be careful as the cheaper ones can collapse, there’s been a few threads on here saying that. It might be worth a read through and see what others have to say on the filter thing, and I suppose a full service wouldn’t go amiss, then you know everything is right as much as you can do. Might pay to invest in a set of ramps and a Haynes manual for the old lass too if you’re thinking of keeping her for a bit. They ain’t a bad little bus to be honest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts