Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed what seems like an occasional misfire on my 2013 Corsa 1.4 SE Automatic. A few months ago, I'd notice an occasional slight knock/bang and the revs would momentarily fall slightly and then go back to normal. Now the weather is a lot hotter, I've noticed when pulling away when the engine is hot the engine bangs quite a bit with the same slight drop in revs. Whilst waiting at a roundabout today for a few seconds there was a banging sensation that I felt throughout the car. Once on the move though, the car drives perfectly with plenty of smooth power. This banging/knocking only occurs when idling and just recently when pulling away.

I've read about quite a few problems with this 1.4 Ecotec engine - I'll get it looked at by a mechanic but I just wondered what is the most likely cause?

The car was recently serviced with 5 W 30 oil (as used from new) - I'm sure I read somewhere that using thicker oil could help but is this likely to be of help in my case?

I've made a YouTube video which hopefully shows the knock - the misfire happens at roughly 10/18/22/31/34/43/50/57 seconds and 1min 06 seconds on the video.

The engine does move slightly each time the knock occurs

Many thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,168 Posts
Could be a case of give the engine a flush and put the slightly thicker oil in, if there was anything serious the engine light would be on, it might be worth getting a mechanics stethoscope to locate the noise more precisely and go from there. Given it’s on tick over it might just be worth taking spark plugs out and having a look at them, they should be whiteish grey, and it’s not beyond the possibilities that the coil pack is playing up, giving the occasional misfire

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a case of give the engine a flush and put the slightly thicker oil in, if there was anything serious the engine light would be on, it might be worth getting a mechanics stethoscope to locate the noise more precisely and go from there. Given it’s on tick over it might just be worth taking spark plugs out and having a look at them, they should be whiteish grey, and it’s not beyond the possibilities that the coil pack is playing up, giving the occasional misfire
Many thanks for the reply, I'm glad you could hear the misfire on the video as it probably does sound as distinct on video as it does in person.

I think my best plan is to take to a mechanic to inspect the plugs and coils - at least I can get some idea of their condition before replacing them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts