Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Garage said abs is likely needing replaced on Corsa 2009. Now me in my usual paranoid untrusting way automatically think I'm being taken for a fool. They say they will diagnose first and get back to me. He also said this is a common problem on corsas.

Can anyone verify if this is a common problem and is a new abs unit a big job or could a home mechanic manage it?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Garage said abs is likely needing replaced on Corsa 2009. Now me in my usual paranoid untrusting way automatically think I'm being taken for a fool. They say they will diagnose first and get back to me. He also said this is a common problem on corsas.

Can anyone verify if this is a common problem and is a new abs unit a big job or could a home mechanic manage it?
Hey Pal,

What are the issues you are having that have caused them to tell you the abs is having issues?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Pal,

What are the issues you are having that have caused them to tell you the abs is having issues?

Well he just said the car was acting strange when he took it for a drive, I think he said it was locking up on one side and that he suspects the abs as a previous Corsa had the same issues. But generally he said the brakes didn't feel right.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well he just said the car was acting strange when he took it for a drive, I think he said it was locking up on one side and that he suspects the abs as a previous Corsa had the same issues. But generally he said the brakes didn't feel right.
So was the car in for it's MOT and then this was mentioned as an advisory... Basically why was the car in the garage at all?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So was the car in for it's MOT and then this was mentioned as an advisory... Basically why was the car in the garage at all?

Correct it was in for its MOT. I had put it in 9 days previous for the MOT and it had a list of things needing done, I did most of these things myself. So today was meant to get one job done by the garage then the MOT free retest but now he calls me and says the brakes don't feel right hence I'm a bit suspicious as why didn't they pick this up 9 days ago?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Correct it was in for its MOT. I had put it in 9 days previous for the MOT and it had a list of things needing done, I did most of these things myself. So today was meant to get one job done by the garage then the MOT free retest but now he calls me and says the brakes don't feel right hence I'm a bit suspicious as why didn't they pick this up 9 days ago?
Personally I am inclined to agree with you. Obviously part of the braking system is tested via MOT and is not carried out via mean if "how it feels" the car is put onto rollers and is machine aided to test. Give this a watch (ironically is carried out with a Corsa :
). So if it was so bad it would of failed the MOT and would have been on the brake test report (which you can request - see pic of what one looks like). Now he maybe telling the truth that something feels abit off, but if it hasn't failed.mot I would take the car back and do a few tests yourself. Now yes the abs pumps failing on these are what I would say semi common, I have replaced a few,. BUT it's not something you just say, brakes feel funny, the abs pump. It could be a few things, seized caliper, failed brake line. As I said I would take the car back and find a say car park or industrial road and do some tests, often when the abs pump or something else as mentioned above is playing up,. You get a "it's hard to stop the car" feel when pressing the brake pedal. Basically you feel you have to push you foot through the floor to stop the car, this is because one part of the system has failed, affectively making the car use 50% of a braking system to stop a whole car.

Again not saying something isn't wrong with the car, but for them to make a broad statement and assume is always alarms for me, properly diagnosing (at a cost) and then repairing accordingly saves the customer in the long run, as your not using the parts cannon.

·
Registered
226 Posts

yes I’d say it is a fairly common fault, when I bought my wife’s car it stated on the advert that the abs pump had been replaced (with a used one), about two years later that one failed too, so I bought a reconditioned one from a trusted eBay seller, and to date it has been working fine.
They are quite straightforward to fit as long as you know how to bleed the system afterwards. Basically it’s secured in with bolts and the brake lines, and one electrical connector.
Just make sure you match up your part numbers with the new pump.
Think I paid around £120 for my one, and the seller asks that you send your old one to him or else there’s a surcharge on top of the unit you buy.
If you want his details I’ll happily send them to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes I’d say it is a fairly common fault, when I bought my wife’s car it stated on the advert that the abs pump had been replaced (with a used one), about two years later that one failed too, so I bought a reconditioned one from a trusted eBay seller, and to date it has been working fine.
They are quite straightforward to fit as long as you know how to bleed the system afterwards. Basically it’s secured in with bolts and the brake lines, and one electrical connector.
Just make sure you match up your part numbers with the new pump.
Think I paid around £120 for my one, and the seller asks that you send your old one to him or else there’s a surcharge on top of the unit you buy.
If you want his details I’ll happily send them to you.
But you also have to get them coded/programmed by the dealer?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
But you also have to get them coded/programmed by the dealer?
I can confirm that you don't need to programme these in, as long as you match part numbers exactly, for my customers I have done eBay buys that offer warranty and have worked fine. But again you have the choice of just replacing this part (part cannon) - because if it's not the issue the. It's about £120- £150 for the part. Or do some diagnosing yourself. Personally the way you seem towards your garage you are skeptical of them anyway, so anything they say or do moving forward your always going to go be abit... "Hmmmm". I tip offer to my customers if they cannot get in with myself for MOT checks is take your car to an MOT Council Test centre (Google search it). These places are great because they do not carry out repairs, they merely do the test. So they have no gain in failing you, as the work would not get carried out by them anyway. So you know if u fail it is honest and true. Then you can shop around or do the work yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could some tell me what an ABS valve block is, I've been giving 2 parts by the garage, ABS control unit and ABS valve block. The parts numbers they gave don't really make sense to me or Google. Here's what I was given. I have to source these parts.

abs control unit number 5507 L2 2804 09 085
abs valve block 0265 232 288 13282282
090507/2/0250

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm wondering if I damaged an abs sensor when changing the rear springs. The dropping of the rear axles may have damaged the cable or knocked the sensors out of place.

Also I reset the codes just before the MOT, so reset, drove 2 miles to MOT, then garage say car has problem with wheel locking when braking.

Is it possible car needs to be driven X miles before an abs sensor fault light will come on. I should say no fault codes came on before I reset the codes and the garage can't find any codes.

He think the abs pump needs changed but again no codes are showing so doing it by "ear". But he's adamant that's theres a abs problem and I do believe him.

I feel am going to have them replace abs pump but it won't fix the issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Going by the symptoms your car has, it sounds the same as my wife’s car, I took it along to an independent garage who confirmed the abs pump was faulty (I didn’t have any dashboard lights hi lighting a fault either) so I bought a replacement part and completely solved the issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any tips for finding an exact replacement unit from numbers above, I've been looking for hours but still not confident I have a good match. There seems to be so many models available.

From numbers above would this be regarded an an exact match.

Really appreciate any help here as need to get this fixed.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Any tips for finding an exact replacement unit from numbers above, I've been looking for hours but still not confident I have a good match. There seems to be so many models available.

From numbers above would this be regarded an an exact match.

Really appreciate any help here as need to get this fixed.
Personally I wouldn't cheap out on eBay. Find a place on eBay that does reconditioned ones with warranty and had a few sales, this seller has only sold 3. Knowing all the part numbers isn't really needed. Simply go to you car and take pics of your parts numbers and then send them to the seller and have them check if compatible, that way the liability is on them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts