Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys got a problem with my 59 plate corsa 1.3 cdti, over rough ground for instance gravel, etc theres a bad rattle I was 100% it was a droplink but when it passed its MOT I wasn't sure, anyway I changed it just to make sure and its still there, if I go over big bumps or speed bumps it doesn't make any noise, im stuck now from what ive read maybe its the strut top but wondering if anyones had a similar problem?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
mines the same only its the drivers side its fine over speed bumps but as soons as im on a road with a few bumps like back lanes it makes a really bad rattling noise but i have no idea what it is :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
weve managed to get the car to make the noise, it does it if you kick the wheel when the cars on the floor, I wudnt care I just spent £40 on a strut top bearing what a waste of money, we seem to think its the wheel bearing, which is a strange one but I do have a wheel bearing noise too

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think I have the same problem on the front drivers side. It has been like it for a while and passed its MOT and Service without being picked up. It seems to be as Mark first said, when i go accrouse bumpy ground such as gravel, smoth humps normal speed bumps are okay its just when you go over things like brick speed bumps where it is more of a 'Shock' So I am thinking possibly it could be the shock, is it a case of the shock is knackerd or just needs tightning up?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anti rollbar drop links perhaps?

Cheap to replace and you can do it yourself if your handy with tools.
I am going to take a look perhaps at the weekend I will let you know if I find anything, if it is that its good to know its cheap to replace. Im guessing ill know if it is that because something will be obviously loose?

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
I am going to take a look perhaps at the weekend I will let you know if I find anything, if it is that its good to know its cheap to replace. Im guessing ill know if it is that because something will be obviously loose?
Well if it's passed an MOT, it won't obviously be loose, it may have a slight bit of up and down play on the little balljoints on each end. Just give them a pull up and down and see if there is any play.

Even the tiniest bits of play will give a blunt knocking noise whilst driving.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well if it's passed an MOT, it won't obviously be loose, it may have a slight bit of up and down play on the little balljoints on each end. Just give them a pull up and down and see if there is any play.

Even the tiniest bits of play will give a blunt knocking noise whilst driving.
Just seems to be over rougher ground so as I said gravel car parks and hard humps, I know its not a major problem as it passed MOT and has had a full service but just annoying when you can somtimes hear a thudding knocking sound from the front drivers side susspension.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had my car checked this morning and once it was up on the ramp there didn't appear to be any play in the drop links although the tech guy mentioned they cannot reproduce the amount of stress as you get under full load. He did however show me the steering column as there appears to be some play between turning the wheel and the bottom of the column which makes a noise very similar to the one you can hear when driving.

After being told you have to start somewhere the drop links would be the cheapest place to start he wasn't 100% sure it would fix the problem and at 130 quid for vauxhaull to fit I walked away but it was good to have it diagnosed even if it wasn't solved.

Need to sort the play in the steering wheel now. That should fix it but may need a new steering column :(

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have a knocking rattle coming from front drivers side too. Vxl say it's the drop link so I went on to euro car parts and got one for £17 I think and I'm fitting it this weekend only 2 bolts mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
would be good if you got a before and after sound so i can see if sounds like mine. Looked at the vxl invoice for the inspection and they have put down that its most probably the steering UJ.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi guys got a problem with my 59 plate corsa 1.3 cdti, over rough ground for instance gravel, etc theres a bad rattle I was 100% it was a droplink but when it passed its MOT I wasn't sure, anyway I changed it just to make sure and its still there, if I go over big bumps or speed bumps it doesn't make any noise, im stuck now from what ive read maybe its the strut top but wondering if anyones had a similar problem?

Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark, I know this thread is a slightly old, however I have a similar problem with my 59 plate corsa 1.3 cdti to what you was experiencing.

Did you ever find out the cause of the problem? And how much did it cost to repair?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had this problem after I changed my suspension, turned out to be the very top nut just wasn't quite tight enough. I know this seems quite obvious but due to the design of the top mounts there is more play than usual in them anyway, so would perhaps not be picked up on an MOT. I know it sounds pretty obvious, but I searched for aaaages for where it was coming from and it turned out it just needed tightening!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven't yet had a look but its possible it could be that. Have came across a handy video that may be usefull for some people.

Anti Roll Sway Bar Drop Link Replacement Vauxhall Opel
Damn I think that's exactly the rattle my corsa d does despite a I had asked a mechanic to see if it was the front arm bushes needing to be replaced but he said it looked like the bushes were fine. He didn't elevate the car though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts