Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick warning, I managed to melt my indicators today when I tinted them. I used E-Tech spray, and that was completely fine, built up 3 coats and they were looking smashing. I let them dry for about an hour under a warm lamp.

Then I decided to put a coat of Holts clearcoat laquer on them and that's when problems started to occur, noticed some bubbles appearing at the side and on top, and within a few minutes they had started to melt on the top and the sides went all droopy.

Totally ballsed them up... have ordered a new set from eBay and willdo them again when they arrive but just thought I'd warn people not to use these two products together on your indicators. The Laquer must have reacted with the plastic or the E-tech, or both!?

So now I have no indicators on my car, with terrible weather forecast soon. Put some Zip-loc bags over them to keep the bulbs protected and hopefully that'll be okay. Anyway, rant over!

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
I've got some standard indicators for sale if you want them. £12 posted.

Edit: just read you bought some. The lacquer shouldn't react but not should the paint it will of been the heat I imagine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I have no pics before I laquered them. Although on Second inspection I've noticed it's just the E-Tech that the laquer has melted. Used Nail Varnish remover and it's come off perfectly allthough there are now strange little cracks all over the lenses. I think what I'll do is buy some tint film and wrap the pair I'm geting off eBay and then see what I can do with these, might re-tint them tomorrow and see how they come out with just the spray.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine turned out fine i wet and dry sanded mine with some 2000 grit sandpaper then washed them off so they was scratched up and then applied 3 coats let them dry between each one about 15 mins then lacquered which took about 1hour ish this is how they turned out.

-Max

·
Banned
347 Posts
Rub them down with 1200 sand paper just so u make surface rough so the spray has to something to grip too. Then spray them and leave them in window for a few hours before u laquer, then I would leave them off all eve and put them back on the next day gives it chance to dry prop. Don't put them under a hot lamp

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking your advice, have sanded them down with 800 I think as that's the best I could find myself. 2nd coat in and they're looking okay. Will do another one in 30 minutes or so.Think I will leave the laquer this time just to be on the safe side! But yeah when the next lot arrive I think I'm just gonna use some tint vinyl, does anyone reccommend a specific type?

·
Banned
347 Posts
Another bit of advice is just dont spray to much on at one time other wise may get run marks. Other than that bud u should be all good :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a set of tinted indicators I will be selling soon if your interested??
Wish I had done that in the first place, but all in all I've spent way too much on these buggers already. £6 for the spray, £14 for new indicators, £3 on some vinyl tint wrap for new ones.... should have just done that in the first place, as I seem to balls everything up that I touch! Lol! If they turn out well I could just bung the old ones on eBay for 99p and see if anyones' interested.

Thin coats indeed, it's working fine now :) still dubious abot using that laquer though...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, have left them a good 3 hours or so do dry. Just did my first coat of laquer and noticed the same strange white bubbling up of it along one edge and a corner... had to go open a beer... came back 5 minutes later and had a look and it had gone down considerably, not as noticable unless right up close, and the bubbles have settled, they're a lot smaller and not as noticable. It's definitely a reaction with the laquer and the E-Tech spray! I think I've ran out of E-Tech now, or I would do them again. I will leave them to dry over night, as I'm only going to put one coat of Laquer on as I don't want to risk them going even more f-ed. I'll put them on tomorrow and take some pics to update.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

off

on

side view.

You can kinda see the little cracks all over the lens when they flash... and the finish could be a bit smoother... That's why I'm going to wrap the next lot that are coming in the mail, and probably will put these ones on eBay as I'm not 100% satisfied with them. Apologies for the dirty car too :p

·
Registered
390 Posts
Same with hammerite and halfrauds clear lacquer! Wasn't as extreme as melting the thing though

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad I'm not the only one that this has happened to then! Would like to know if there is a decent laquer out there that doesn't melt stuff!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts