Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my DRL headlights through the post the other day and I was absolutely chuffed with them when I fitted them. They look stunning. On a whim, I decided to ring my insurance provider today (The Co-Operative) to see if this would affect my insurance at all and they said that fitting them on has invalidated the insurance as they "do not insure modified cars".

So do I have any other options other than putting my old standard headlights back on? My insurance isn't up for renewal until July, and I'd owe them another £200 if I decided to cancel it now. Is there any way of going around this? Personally I think this is ridiculous as how on earth is fitting a pair of DRL headlights classed as a modification!? If anything it is an improvement!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
As reg said, the lights have been changed from factory ones, therefore it's a modification.

There is no way round this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've changed it from standard, therefore a modification.
Yeah I suppose thats the way they see it :\ I suppose that means that when I colour coded my V grill 2 weeks after getting the car, that invalidated my insurance then? :S

·
Registered
642 Posts
Theres nothing you can do apart from fit the old headlights back on unless you wanna drive round with basically no insurance.

Its classed as a modification cause its changing the car from standard, it may be an improvement but then we could all say lowering or putting an exhaust on is an improvement to the car but you would automatically class them as a modification.

·
Registered
884 Posts
should have kept quiet, most can't tell the difference between normal and afl

for all they know they could have been fitted by a previous owner (if there is one)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
should have kept quiet, most can't tell the difference between normal and afl

for all they know they could have been fitted by a previous owner (if there is one)
Wouldn't I have had to declare that the lights were not standard Corsa lights in the first place though? And I would rather not try and keep it quiet to them than have an accident to find that my insurance was void.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Post a picture of the difference between those and the standard lights, If there isn't much difference you could just keep quiet and don't tell them.

Ignorance is bliss, plus the dumties they send around if you claim could just be thick and not notice them, I know a friend who had to claim on his modified C and nothing was said :dontknow:

It all depends, if it looks similar to OEM, you're probably fine.

edit: Yes, on the legal side of things you would have no insurance if you wanted to be picky, but look at all the cars about today with little touches that people don't know are modifications, they'll be thousands

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I fail to see where he said AFL.....

but if they are AFL are they genuine VX AFLS ? if so they are an OEM part and can be classed as an optional extra on the car and our insurance would not be void :)
They are DRLs, here's a before and after pic. I will just see if I can cancel my insurance and find a new policy. I'm going on Holiday next week so won't need the car for two weeks anyway...

before

After

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well it's pretty obvious they aren't standard, looks like you're taking them out
Yeah, probably. Or I'll just leave it on my drive until I can get a new policy and drive my parents car around. Was hoping there would be some way around this, but seems that there's no other option

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've just re-read the copy of my policy and there is nowhere it in which states that I'm not allowed to modify the vehicle.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've just re-read the copy of my policy and there is nowhere it in which states that I'm not allowed to modify the vehicle.
They don't have to state it mate, you asked them if your allowed to have them and they have said no there's no way around it unless you move insurance company

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Sorry but :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts