Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Corsa problems

I picked up a new Corsa 1.2 SXi 5 door with my uncle tonight (Its his car) It was late and we had a 45 mile run home. The first thing I noticed was the doors kept locking themselves, if I opened them they locked again at intermittent time intervals. May happen more often going over speed humps. I'm pretty certain it isn't an auto lock system which can be deactivated cause 1. I've never herd of one and 2. The random time intervals.

Now thats pretty bad but the second potential problem is possibly worse.

The steering is strange. As in its tight to move the wheel and it doesn't self centre when released. Its most noticeable at 60-70 on a motorway and its really difficult to maintain your position in the centre of a lane. Its continuous work to try to do that. It's noticeable urban driving too but less so. As I say there is a resistance to moving the wheel of a centre position, it takes a bit of pressure which probably means moving more it than intended and a correction is then necessary. So you correct and overdo that. Its a battle and fookin awful in a new car.

So the dealership was closed when I got home. What should I say on the phone at 9am tomorrow?

1. Please arrange to fix my car?

2. Please come and collect, leave me a courtesy car and repair mine?

3. I can accept a car having a few faults after time but two before I leave the garage is unacceptable. Please replace ASAP with a new car?

I've no idea what my rights are, I'd rather the car wasn't used until things get sorted. All advice appreciated.

John

(PS: When I say my rights etc etc, I negotiated the deal for my Uncle who is a lovely elderly gentleman. I drove the car home because he didn't want to drive a strange car at night on a motorway. I feel obliged to try and get these problems sorted for him but obviously its his car/his rights whatever they may be etc)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the 3 door version of the identical car.

I too have the same difficulties of the steering being strange. Trying to keep the car in the centre of the lane on a motorway is very difficult due to the strangely set up power assisted steering.

DONT WORRY - the steering is meant to be like that - they all are.

The issue of the locking doors i believe CAN be turned off as i have that too.

there is a menu you get on the dash infront of the steering wheel that is accessed by turning the ignition off and pulling towards you both wiper stalk and indicator stalk. then you will see p1 which goes down to p7 by moving the stalks up and down. there is a detailed description of what p1-7 does in the car manual in the glovebox ( should be there) you can select on or off. theres differnt things you can have on or off e.g. auto locking of doors over 4mph / headlights come on when unlocking the vehicle / rear wiper does 1 wipe when selecting reverse with front wipers on / volume of indicator noise etc etc.

read the manual and turn off the auto door locking function. if then the doors continue to lock consult your dealer as you may have an issue.

the steering is just one of those things im afraid, it used to seriously annoy me, but its something that you get used to

hope all is well

Tom

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
For the doors locking, I think it's when you hit over a certain speed, that they lock, so one time when driving, they might lock right away, but the next time, it might be a lot longer before they lock.

As Tom said above, try turning the automatic feature off, and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 3 door version of the identical car.

I too have the same difficulties of the steering being strange. Trying to keep the car in the centre of the lane on a motorway is very difficult due to the strangely set up power assisted steering.

DONT WORRY - the steering is meant to be like that - they all are.

the steering is just one of those things im afraid, it used to seriously annoy me, but its something that you get used to
Thanks for all the replys guys. My Uncle is 72 years old and a not very hi-tech. I can't get to his house until tomorrow when I'll have a look through the manual and turn the auto locking off (Assuming its on of course)

Tom regards the steering, I'm totally convinced there is a problem with it. When I got home last night I blagged a drive in a 2 month old Corsa with the same size rims and tyres. This car drove perfectly normally. Another thing I noticed is if you turn the wheel any amount, sat only 10mm or 50mm then in any other car if you release both your hands from the steering wheel it self centres. This one does not, it stays where you left it last. The other Corsa was fine, self centred from anywhere. Perhaps you have a similiar problem you have learned to live with? Seems to my unqualified mind that something is tight in the steering, the speed sensitive steering worked well in the other Corsa as it does in my Astra. It should not cause this problem.

Thanks again ... John

·
Registered
327 Posts
i would take it back in mate - my corsa was recalled due to a problem with the front arm which affects the steering - better safe than sorry

·
Registered
308 Posts
was the 2 month old corsa you tried an sxi? apparently its only the sxi (and vxr?) that have the speed sensitive adaptive steering wheel.

hmm, i think i may have a test in another sxi now to see if mine isnt normal.

Yeah at the end of the day its best to be safe than sorry so take it in for someone to look at it.

atm the moment my car is in the garage for a new rack! as there is loud cloncking noises from the wheel when lock is applied at low speeds.

Tom

·
Registered
779 Posts
Check the tyre pressures also. Sometimes the dealers have them ar*e ways!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
was the 2 month old corsa you tried an sxi? apparently its only the sxi (and vxr?) that have the speed sensitive adaptive steering wheel
sxid, it was a design I drove. I've just pulled out a 2007 model year brochure and indeed as you state it is only the SXi that has progressive rate variable ratio speed - sensitive steering.

All models: Electric power - assisted steering
Diesel Models: Electric power - assisted steering - variable rate
SXi Models: Electric power - assisted steering - progressive variable rate

The good news is I've just rang a friend who has an SXi 1.2 and I'll be getting a run in it tomorrow morning, he has not noticed anything strange about his car so far. I'll report back tomorrow with my findings. :thumbs:

And an update from yesterday:

The locks did in fact turn out to be an auto lock system which I could turn off (Hidden menu with seven different options listed) so there is in fact no problem there. That only leaves the steering.

I rang the dealership on Friday morning, the salesman I bought from was on holidays. I got the sales manager who while not being cheeky wasn't exactly too helpful either. At this stage I had to ring my Uncle and get him to arrange something as I was working in a mountainous area with no phone signal. He booked in to be looked at on Thursday.

I'm getting a slightly confused message from my Uncle, he told me that the service bloke said that he's either heard of or seen a few Corsas with the same problem and that he's either getting parts or paperwork sent over before the car is booked in.

Shall update when I get more info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes as said, check the tyre pressures...

When they put new cars on transporters, the tyres are deliberatly pumped up extra hard, for the whell strapping i believe.

Dealers often "forget" (all dealers are muppets IMO) to check and readjust tyre pressures on the pre delivery inspection.

Ive had new cars with tyre pressures 10-15psi over what the manual quotes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sxid, this will probably interest you.

Pocket Rocket: Thanks for the tyre advice, all 4 tyres are around 30 PSI which I suspect may be a tad low but not far enough out to cause any problems. Next time I'm at my Uncles I'll check the manual to see what they should be.

Arranged to get a drive in a 1.2 SXi this morning. It was new in March past and belongs to a guy I used to work with. Guess what, its the exact same as my Uncles. So either they are both faulty (Unlikely) or Vauxhall have come up with the shi**est steering system I've ever had the misfortune to drive (Likely) The odd thing is the guy who owns this car can't notice anything strange about the steering. After I rang him yesterday he's been wiggling the steering wheel but can't feel anything

The car is currently booked in to be looked at on Thursday. As stated in an earlier post that my Uncle said the service manager indicated that they may be aware of problems regarding the steering. Its probably best to go and have it checked in case they can improve it some way, at this stage I rather doubt it.

I was probably way off the mark with my original rant, that said its the power worst steering system I've ever used. Shall see what they say on Thursday. Maybe its just me being a tit

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the updates john, it really is an awful set up with the power steering. i have too noticed that not everyone notices it or has a problem, get my car back today hopefully with a new steering rack (.. but thats nothing to do with the power steering issues)

i didnt notice the iffy steering when test driving a few corsas before i bought mine, but i didnt take it on a motorway or dual carriageway it was mostly B road driving.

i guess ill have to live with it, but can be so frustreating on long motorway driving, the level if concentration required is immense! to keep the thing in the middle of the lane.

hope your uncle gets on okay with it, and the garage have a go at fixing it somehow.

let us know how things go

Tom

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just bumping this. I have found the steering strange on the motorway. It's like I have to keep making little adjustments to keep the car straight. My friend drove it for a bit & didn't notice anything :shrug:

·
Registered
308 Posts
yup, its crap lol. really tiring to drive long distances on the motorway.

Wonder what came of john and his case?

hope he got it sorted for his uncle

·
Registered
101 Posts
I found that it was hard to keep in straight line on motorways too however i have eirther gotten used to it or it has loosened up and does not now cause any problems. I never complained of the problems initially as i drove an old car that used to rattle and everthing before the corsa and figured it was just me too used to driving a car with alot of wear etc in steering suspension.

·
Registered
96 Posts
sxid, it was a design I drove. I've just pulled out a 2007 model year brochure and indeed as you state it is only the SXi that has progressive rate variable ratio speed - sensitive steering.

All models: Electric power - assisted steering
Diesel Models: Electric power - assisted steering - variable rate
SXi Models: Electric power - assisted steering - progressive variable rate

The good news is I've just rang a friend who has an SXi 1.2 and I'll be getting a run in it tomorrow morning, he has not noticed anything strange about his car so far. I'll report back tomorrow with my findings. :thumbs:

And an update from yesterday:

The locks did in fact turn out to be an auto lock system which I could turn off (Hidden menu with seven different options listed) so there is in fact no problem there. That only leaves the steering.

I rang the dealership on Friday morning, the salesman I bought from was on holidays. I got the sales manager who while not being cheeky wasn't exactly too helpful either. At this stage I had to ring my Uncle and get him to arrange something as I was working in a mountainous area with no phone signal. He booked in to be looked at on Thursday.

I'm getting a slightly confused message from my Uncle, he told me that the service bloke said that he's either heard of or seen a few Corsas with the same problem and that he's either getting parts or paperwork sent over before the car is booked in.

My car is a 1.2 design and has the variable rate progressive steering. If the car you drove had the 17" alloys as mine does then it also comes with the suspension of the sxi. I have had my car since 10th Dec'07 and (touch wood) have not noticed anything out of the ordinary with the steering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I've been watching these forums since i bought my D and found there were so many "common faults"

Unfortunately my incredible luck with car has struck and i have three at once!

1 - window washers wont spray water until pumped a couple of times
2 - Pioneer Navman not working (in touch model so could be programming or module)
3 - Clutch return spring snapped!

What's really unbelievable is that they all started within a week of the first fault!

Hopefully they should all be fixed tomorrow, but they wouldn't order a clutch spring because they need to check first, amazing how they don't listen, even though i have been lucky enough to have it happen to me before on my Focus!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts