Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually tried coding in a new speedometer with OPCOM that isn't divorced from it's old car?

Picked up the 3rd Speedo for my car (I've messed the last 2 up over the year), this one and the last one I bought weren't divorced from the previous car, but they are able to be plugged in and work perfectly fine despite fault codes in BCM and IPC. No issues with Immobilizer and the car starts perfect.

I thought I'd make it fresh and actually bother to do it properly this time so I don't leave any fault codes around. I've taken the EEPROM off the new speedo and read the code from it, hooked the new speedo into the car and ran OPCOM and gone to IPC and tried entering the code, but they never work. It's pauses for about 10 seconds before refusing the code for the speedo, my own car code doesn't work either.

It's the same scenario as the 2nd speedo, I have the valid car code but they don't get accepted by the IPC while it's in my car, has anyone ever divorced it from it's old car while being in the new car?

What if I was to edit the EEPROM's code to my own car code?

·
Registered
Corsa D 1.2
45 Posts
Could you please send me a picture of the EEPROM from the meter? I would also like to replace the counter with the one with a larger display

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you please send me a picture of the EEPROM from the meter? I would also like to replace the counter with the one with a larger display
The part number of the EEPROM was 080DOWT

I believe they are used in BMW’s too. I’m sure it should be the same across all Corsa D’s regardless of the screen size

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try to read the eeprom from the original cluster then simply write this bin file to the new cluster. The original eeprom file will contain the vin number and pin code of your car. You need both of these on the new cluster. The simplest way is to copy the entire eeprom file from the original cluster and write to the new eeprom, otherwise you're into reading the contents of both clusters and editing the correct lines on the bin file. Alternatively you could try desoldering the original eeprom and transferring this to the new cluster.

·
Registered
Corsa D 1.2
45 Posts
Try to read the eeprom from the original cluster then simply write this bin file to the new cluster. The original eeprom file will contain the vin number and pin code of your car. You need both of these on the new cluster. The simplest way is to copy the entire eeprom file from the original cluster and write to the new eeprom, otherwise you're into reading the contents of both clusters and editing the correct lines on the bin file. Alternatively you could try desoldering the original eeprom and transferring this to the new cluster.
I would like to do but i to buy a new cluster with a larger display

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not sure that this is possible. The only clusters I have seen for the corsa d are all the same size, only difference is mph for UK Market and km/hr for European Market. Vxr model is a slightly different design but all clusters are the same size.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sadly my first original speedometer is long gone. I still kept the code of it but I sold it without taking any EEPROM backups.

I see the VIN and PIN shown many times in the 2nd and 3rd speedo's EEPROM, isn't it possible to edit them from there to my original car's VIN and PIN or would it just corrupt?

I'm more surpised that it works perfectly as is, the only issue being the few OPCOM codes it brings up about IPC and Immo, but then I'm still unsure why OPCOM doesn't want to accept the new PIN for the IPC

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure that this is possible. The only clusters I have seen for the corsa d are all the same size
I think they are referring to the Trip/Consumption data that you are able to gain with having the larger centre screen on the IPC. I'm sure it must be through OPCOM or Tech2 to enable those meters on the IPC rather than anything to do with EEPROM

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sadly my first original speedometer is long gone. I still kept the code of it but I sold it without taking any EEPROM backups.

I see the VIN and PIN shown many times in the 2nd and 3rd speedo's EEPROM, isn't it possible to edit them from there to my original car's VIN and PIN or would it just corrupt?

I'm more surpised that it works perfectly as is, the only issue being the few OPCOM codes it brings up about IPC and Immo, but then I'm still unsure why OPCOM doesn't want to accept the new PIN for the IPC
OK, a bit clearer now. Start by making a backup copy of the eeprom bin file on the new cluster. Then make another copy of this file and try to edit the second copy. If you can recognise where the vin number and pin codes are located in the file edit these lines then save this copy and write it back to the eeprom. It will not mess anything up and at lest you will have a copy made of the original file that you can always write back again just in case something goes wrong. The new cluster will have a mileage record which will need to match the car. This will need to changed also. I'm not sure if this information is contained on the same eeprom or another one on the cluster.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, a bit clearer now. Start by making a backup copy of the eeprom bin file on the new cluster. Then make another copy of this file and try to edit the second copy. If you can recognise where the vin number and pin codes are located in the file edit these lines then save this copy and write it back to the eeprom. It will not mess anything up and at lest you will have a copy made of the original file that you can always write back again just in case something goes wrong. The new cluster will have a mileage record which will need to match the car. This will need to changed also. I'm not sure if this information is contained on the same eeprom or another one on the cluster.
Yeah mileage and immo data is stored on same EEPROM. I'm surprised no one has come across having to divorce a IPC in their own car. I may try swapping the VIN number and PIN code to see what happens.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had to jump start the car after I left it on ignition for too long while doing some wiring work.\

Ended up corrupting the EEPROM data so this would a good chance for me to do some testing.

Although the PIN and VIN is visible, the VIN seems to be short by 2 characters so not sure how that's worked out. Sadly I can't compare my own VIN to what's displayed as it isn't the car's original cluster.

However I'm attempting to change the PIN to the Car's original PIN so I will see how that goes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You will need to change both the vin and pin numbers to match your car. Both numbers must be of the correct length so if you find the vin number is short it must be messed up some way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just recognised that not only the PIN is byte flipped but also the VIN.

I tried changing the PIN alone and it would still time out when using Opcom to connect to it. Will try PIN and VIN now

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try to change the vin number first. Save the file and then reload to see it takes the change. Then repeat for the Vin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Should be perfectly doable with an OpCom Professional, not the cheap eBay specials.
Something running at least 181022a or preferably 200603a is what you need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts