Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need someone to help? I have a Corsa 2009 SXI 1.2L 98k miles which I have had a couple of months and everything was fine until recently it started with a problem. I have recently done a full service and changed the oil pressure light but not sure if it's that good as I got it from eBay lol, but no luck.

The oil light used to come on when idling or coming to a stop but went off after couple revs. But the problem went away when changing the switch but they are still a problem lol. Which is when the car starts after being left for couple of hours or overnight they are no lights or anything on startup as it starts and runs fine. But once the car is turned off and I go out to the shop etc and come back to restart the car the oil pressure light is on but goes off as soon as I rev it some, it goes off and it doesn't come back on when driving or stopping etc.

Please can someone help me with this? I have bought some 10w 40 shell helix 7 oil to try out in a couple of days but could this be something else?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi, I need someone to help? I have a Corsa 2009 SXI 1.2L 98k miles which I have had a couple of months and everything was fine until recently it started with a problem. I have recently done a full service and changed the oil pressure light but not sure if it's that good as I got it from eBay lol, but no luck.

The oil light used to come on when idling or coming to a stop but went off after couple revs. But the problem went away when changing the switch but they are still a problem lol. Which is when the car starts after being left for couple of hours or overnight they are no lights or anything on startup as it starts and runs fine. But once the car is turned off and I go out to the shop etc and come back to restart the car the oil pressure light is on but goes off as soon as I rev it some, it goes off and it doesn't come back on when driving or stopping etc.

Please can someone help me with this? I have bought some 10w 40 shell helix 7 oil to try out in a couple of days but could this be something else?
So you changed the oil pressure switch because the light came on and this resolved the issue for a few days? I mean i think anyone will tell you those ebay parts for pressure switches are not great, for a part like this you should buy OEM, as the part may have failed already, until that is done, any advice will always stop here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you changed the oil pressure switch because the light came on and this resolved the issue for a few days? I mean i think anyone will tell you those ebay parts for pressure switches are not great, for a part like this you should buy OEM, as the part may have failed already, until that is done, any advice will always stop here.

When I replaced it I thought the problem was fixed when I first started it up and took it out for a drive, but once I turned it off and turned it back on the light came on and then after couple revs it went off. Sorry I didn't make it clearer mate

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

And yeah haha better off going to like eurocarparts for a good rated switch which I think I might do, but since it still persisted after I changed it what do you think?

·
Registered
422 Posts
When I replaced it I thought the problem was fixed when I first started it up and took it out for a drive, but once I turned it off and turned it back on the light came on and then after couple revs it went off. Sorry I didn't make it clearer mate
Its no worries pal. Tbh i doubt its the switch, but you never know, i would honestly change it to an OEM part. I know youve just bought the ebay part and its basically a waste, but these switches do need to be OEM, some.parts just need to be. After that you can diagnose and move forward.

·
Registered
422 Posts
And yeah haha better off going to like eurocarparts for a good rated switch which I think I might do, but since it still persisted after I changed it what do you think?
It could be a few things. I mean yiu mention about using 10w 40, im sure these vehicles run 5w30 or worse case 5w40, sp that could be an issue. Little more in it could be a blocked oil pick up in the sump, or the oil pump could be failing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Its no worries pal. Tbh i doubt its the switch, but you never know, i would honestly change it to an OEM part. I know youve just bought the ebay part and its basically a waste, but these switches do need to be OEM, some.parts just need to be. After that you can diagnose and move forward.

But dont by the switch from euro car parts etc after.market or ebay parts are the same with this. You need to get it from vauxhall or a vauxhall parts supplier, but i would go pick it up from them directly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be a few things. I mean yiu mention about using 10w 40, im sure these vehicles run 5w30 or worse case 5w40, sp that could be an issue. Little more in it could be a blocked oil pick up in the sump, or the oil pump could be failing.

Yeah I will get the part from a trusted Vauxhall dealer to put in and not something off FLEABAY lol, but yeah I have 5w 30 fully synthetic inside, which is why I got 10w 40 as apparently people recommend it for high mileage corsa's so I will try it out and see if it makes any improvements, I would do a oil flush but I heard it could be bad.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah I will get the part from a trusted Vauxhall dealer to put in and not something off FLEABAY lol, but yeah I have 5w 30 fully synthetic inside, which is why I got 10w 40 as apparently people recommend it for high mileage corsa's so I will try it out and see if it makes any improvements, I would do a oil flush but I heard it could be bad.
Yeahhhh fleanay is good for some parts but things like this OEM believe me. I have heard this theory, in theory the thicker viscoity may help with pressure, so you can test it as it is an easy enough test and not too expensive. Im not a fan of flushing engines, i would just drain the oil and then pour some 10w40 fresh into the engine and have that dtain oyt also to act as a partial (safer) flush and then fill it up as usual. Is your engine oil level correct? Also double check the oil filter housing and be sure nothing has broken inside :

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeahhhh fleanay is good for some parts but things like this OEM believe me. I have heard this theory, in theory the thicker viscoity may help with pressure, so you can test it as it is an easy enough test and not too expensive. Im not a fan of flushing engines, i would just drain the oil and then pour some 10w40 fresh into the engine and have that dtain oyt also to act as a partial (safer) flush and then fill it up as usual. Is your engine oil level correct? Also double check the oil filter housing and be sure nothing has broken inside :

yeah I’ll test it and let you know what happens tomorrow, another thing could it be because the wire that plugs into the oil pressure switch is clipped in but seems a bit loose? I’m not gonna flush the engine as I don’t really think it’s a good idea, I’ll do as you suggested thank you mate! Only thing about the oil filter is some of the flap things are bent from being put in the wrong way lol but it’s in the right way now but could t bend the flapfilter bits back

·
Registered
422 Posts
yeah I’ll test it and let you know what happens tomorrow, another thing could it be because the wire that plugs into the oil pressure switch is clipped in but seems a bit loose? I’m not gonna flush the engine as I don’t really think it’s a good idea, I’ll do as you suggested thank you mate! Only thing about the oil filter is some of the flap things are bent from being put in the wrong way lol but it’s in the right way now but could t bend the flapfilter bits back
Possibly, you could have someone start the car and you wiggle the wire, pushing in and out and moving it all around, if it is causing the light to go on and off in reaction to this then most likely there is your answer. Regards to oil filter, if you mean plastic tabs on the actual filter were bent but you ben them back, they ckuld jave broken off causing issues, again an oil filter is cheap enough to replace, inspect and see as if that piece has broken of now after use it could be causing a blockage in the oil filter housing and may need to be drain out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possibly, you could have someone start the car and you wiggle the wire, pushing in and out and moving it all around, if it is causing the light to go on and off in reaction to this then most likely there is your answer. Regards to oil filter, if you mean plastic tabs on the actual filter were bent but you ben them back, they ckuld jave broken off causing issues, again an oil filter is cheap enough to replace, inspect and see as if that piece has broken of now after use it could be causing a blockage in the oil filter housing and may need to be drain out.

Okay mate I’ll give that a try in the morning, and as for the oil filter the housing and tabs were fine I mean the yellow things in the picture below sorry haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yesterday I took my car down to my parents so my dad could help me sort the problem out, I bought a brand new oil pressure switch, had my 10w 40 shell helix 7 oil, and a brand new oil filter, and stp engine flush.

I decided to do an engine flush just incase some pipe was blocked with sludge or somert, after doing everything it told me to I emptied the oil, and then I replaced the oil filter and oil pressure switch adding a bit of oil to the filter before hand and a bit of oil around the end of the switch just in case. After I did this in the pissing down rain lmao, I put the cap back in and poured in the new oil. Finally I sat in the car and turned it on, the light was there but after a couple more seconds it went off and the car went quite!! Thank ****! I even tested it turning it off and turning back on and no more light!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yesterday I took my car down to my parents so my dad could help me sort the problem out, I bought a brand new oil pressure switch, had my 10w 40 shell helix 7 oil, and a brand new oil filter, and stp engine flush.

I decided to do an engine flush just incase some pipe was blocked with sludge or somert, after doing everything it told me to I emptied the oil, and then I replaced the oil filter and oil pressure switch adding a bit of oil to the filter before hand and a bit of oil around the end of the switch just in case. After I did this in the pissing down rain lmao, I put the cap back in and poured in the new oil. Finally I sat in the car and turned it on, the light was there but after a couple more seconds it went off and the car went quite!! Thank ****! I even tested it turning it off and turning back on and no more light!
Well im gkad you got it sorted, its a shame we dont know what the issue, was it switch or thicker oil needed, or something clogged. But this woukd have been one step at a time and get you just wanted it sorted. Just keep an eye on it, be sure to run the car for a spin to allow it tp ger up to temp and work the oil to operating temp, report back after a few gpod days of driving. But fingers cross all sorted

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well im gkad you got it sorted, its a shame we dont know what the issue, was it switch or thicker oil needed, or something clogged. But this woukd have been one step at a time and get you just wanted it sorted. Just keep an eye on it, be sure to run the car for a spin to allow it tp ger up to temp and work the oil to operating temp, report back after a few gpod days of driving. But fingers cross all sorted

Been driving pretty much everyday since I did the stuff to the car long journeys and short journeys no problems which is great news! Just had to get my front right tire change as the tread has worn out and was making my car shake at like 80mph do got the front balanced and it sorted but it still kinda feels like a vibration wobble or something which I’m not sure what it could be it’s a lot better then what is was since I got a new tire and balance. Also I do 3.5 revs at 70 and when going 80+ it’s 4 or just above if I speed up more is this okay?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Right well I put some engine stop leak additive in because I was using a lot of oil because I’m a delivery driver and also take long journeys every week so thought it would help. And since I’ve done that everytime I stop and start the engine the oil pressure light comes on and sometimes will go out after a like 8 seconds, but some times stays on but goes off with slight press of accelerator! Any ideas? Last time I did an engine flush And added thicker oil it solved the problem

·
Registered
422 Posts
Right well I put some engine stop leak additive in because I was using a lot of oil because I’m a delivery driver and also take long journeys every week so thought it would help. And since I’ve done that everytime I stop and start the engine the oil pressure light comes on and sometimes will go out after a like 8 seconds, but some times stays on but goes off with slight press of accelerator! Any ideas? Last time I did an engine flush And added thicker oil it solved the problem
Hello Ser, ok so you had an oil leak and put stop leak in it, most will tell you this is just a patch fix and usually causes.more problems later on. You need to find out where the oil leak is and address and fix the issue and then drain out the stop leak oil, possible do another flush and then refill with pil. Hopefully the stop leak hasnt clogged anything too bad and a simple drain it out and refill will work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn’t have a leak, I’m not too sure what it was maybe because it’s high miles and a 1.2 as it burns more oil than usual but not too bad. That’s why I put that in just incase they was a leak but from what me and my dad could tell we couldn’t see anything not one drop on the floor etc. So not too sure what it could be, could it possibly be an oil filter that’s bad? As I bought some more oil same level just different brand.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I didn’t have a leak, I’m not too sure what it was maybe because it’s high miles and a 1.2 as it burns more oil than usual but not too bad. That’s why I put that in just incase they was a leak but from what me and my dad could tell we couldn’t see anything not one drop on the floor etc. So not too sure what it could be, could it possibly be an oil filter that’s bad? As I bought some more oil same level just different brand.
How much oil was you losing. Most likely if you can say for sure it wasnt leaking out some where but definately losing, you had two things happen, oil was mixing in with coolant, amd u can tell by looking at coolant and see if it has changed or you were burning it which happens mainly because of worn piston rings, (you can somes tell this if your exhaust smoke is blue) which sadly on an high mileage old car the repair is just not worth it cost wise. Moving forward i would except the car maybe on its last legs as any repairs may outweigh hiw much the car is worth. I would use the car for as long as you can but kniw that you.may need to change it sometime soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I think where I’m loosing oil is the coolant as the cap has some wierd substance in it, and I don’t think I’m burning any as I haven’t had any smoke or whichever? And I’m only loosing a couple notches every couple weeks, after heavy use tho

1 - 20 of 27 Posts