Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here are the symptoms i found off vxro:

- When you lift the clutch up in 1st gear, while holding the gearstick, it will move back into you hand, sometimes 10-20mm!
- When Driving along in 5th and/or 6th, when you come on and off the throttle, the gearstick 'twitches'
compared to 3rd and 4th which will have nothing
- Whining in 1st, sometimes 2nd, 5th and/or 6th,
-Corsa's (Only) when turning right at 30mph+ you get a what is best described like a disc rubbing noise

so after doing some testing i have notices a disk rubbing noise when turning right, and when selecting certain gears the stick moves back into my hand (this is about 2mm) this happens in all gears apart from going from 3rd to 4th.

are these signs of the bearings wearing out? if so how long will they last? i have 3 months warranty and i hope to get it done by then if this is the case..

might just be me over thinking about it..

thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
here are the symptoms i found off vxro:

- When you lift the clutch up in 1st gear, while holding the gearstick, it will move back into you hand, sometimes 10-20mm!
- When Driving along in 5th and/or 6th, when you come on and off the throttle, the gearstick 'twitches'
compared to 3rd and 4th which will have nothing
- Whining in 1st, sometimes 2nd, 5th and/or 6th,
-Corsa's (Only) when turning right at 30mph+ you get a what is best described like a disc rubbing noise

so after doing some testing i have notices a disk rubbing noise when turning right, and when selecting certain gears the stick moves back into my hand (this is about 2mm) this happens in all gears apart from going from 3rd to 4th.

are these signs of the bearings wearing out? if so how long will they last? i have 3 months warranty and i hope to get it done by then if this is the case..

might just be me over thinking about it..

thanks
Your disks will make the rubbing noise in this whether all the time when you're listening to them at a slow speed, even in a straight line it's just surface rubbish on the disks and on your pads rubbing against it so no need to worry about that at all mate unless it's seriously loud but even then doubt it's your gearbox bearing.

The stick has a natural amount of play which is what you feel when accelerating/de-accelerating 2mm is nothing to worry about it's normal that's just your gearbox moving when the torque meets revs and drivetrain etc.

If your bearing is going you will notice as the main symptom is a whine which happens mostly in 5th gear and is very noticeable. I've got the whine currently and i'm trying to get vauxhall to fix it as a good will gesture as i've caught the fault early and it is only half a year out of manufacturers warranty.

If your warranty is a 3rd party warranty they wouldn't replace your bearings/gearbox anyway as it's not an immediate fault, if it's a vauxhall warranty (manufacturer) then i'd ring them up and ask them for a free diagnostic check as you think you may have a gearbox problem, you'll book in and they'll ask for a few details of what you're experiencing then they'll either road test it or put it on a ramp and use a stethoscope to listen to the gearbox, then they'll give you a conclusion on whether there is a fault or not.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your disks will make the rubbing noise in this whether all the time when you're listening to them at a slow speed, even in a straight line it's just surface rubbish on the disks and on your pads rubbing against it so no need to worry about that at all mate unless it's seriously loud but even then doubt it's your gearbox bearing.

The stick has a natural amount of play which is what you feel when accelerating/de-accelerating 2mm is nothing to worry about it's normal that's just your gearbox moving when the torque meets revs and drivetrain etc.

If your bearing is going you will notice as the main symptom is a whine which happens mostly in 5th gear and is very noticeable. I've got the whine currently and i'm trying to get vauxhall to fix it as a good will gesture as i've caught the fault early and it is only half a year out of manufacturers warranty.

If your warranty is a 3rd party warranty they wouldn't replace your bearings/gearbox anyway as it's not an immediate fault, if it's a vauxhall warranty (manufacturer) then i'd ring them up and ask them for a free diagnostic check as you think you may have a gearbox problem, you'll book in and they'll ask for a few details of what you're experiencing then they'll either road test it or put it on a ramp and use a stethoscope to listen to the gearbox, then they'll give you a conclusion on whether there is a fault or not.

Hope this helps.
thanks for the reply mate, the rubbing noise isnt really loud, you have to try and notice it. this noise doenst happen when i turn the other way thou, thats what make's it suspicious. i have no whines at all at the mo, i dont think i get movement when accelerating and de-accelerating its only when i engage the clutch, ill have to double check that when i get it back (took it back today with a list of things they need to sort!). yeah its a third party company, thats exactly what the guy said to me today :(

·
Registered
305 Posts
thanks for the reply mate, the rubbing noise isnt really loud, you have to try and notice it. this noise doenst happen when i turn the other way thou, thats what make's it suspicious. i have no whines at all at the mo, i dont think i get movement when accelerating and de-accelerating its only when i engage the clutch, ill have to double check that when i get it back (took it back today with a list of things they need to sort!). yeah its a third party company, thats exactly what the guy said to me today :(
Without the whine I can say its most definitely not your bearings so I doubt you'll have a gearbox problem I think you're just over thinking it buddy. The main fault is the whine and if you haven't got It you can say its ok really. 3rd party warranties are hopeless if you've got any concerns just ring vauxhall for a free diagnostic mate and they'll check it all out for you and get back to you that's all I suggest. If there is a fault they'll contact your warranty and see if its available to claim on if not they'll point you in the right direction.

Don't over think things mate if you hear a fault when you're not listening for it then yeah get it checked but don't try and listen for things because your mind will play tricks.

Hope everything gets looked at and sorted though fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help buddy!, i might book it in for a diagnostics check, do they check everything or just what you want checked?

ive seen you've had problems with yours, hows it going? any progress?

·
Registered
305 Posts
thanks for your help buddy!, i might book it in for a diagnostics check, do they check everything or just what you want checked?

ive seen you've had problems with yours, hows it going? any progress?
If you tell them you think your gearbox might be going and say the bearings they'll check that they can only check what you think is faulty obviously they can't spend a huge amount of time on it since its free but worth the diagnostic yeah!

They emailed vauxhall to see if they'll replace my gearbox as a good will gesture since its a 59 plate and I've only owned it since November and its fvsh. It's been 3 weeks though on Wednesday I rang back last Tuesday and he said he's pushing it forward again for a reply as they haven't got back. Not looking good tbh. I'm not paying for it lets put it that way! Ill argue with them until they do it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My VXR is a making and horrible noise aswell,

Sounds like some sorting of swirling metal noise and get some other noise when I'm traveling a bit faster but can't explain that sound lol.

Haven't tried paid much attention to the gear stick or anything tho

It's only a 10plate was MOTD and serviced when I brought it and its been around 2 months :/

·
Registered
305 Posts
My VXR is a making and horrible noise aswell,

Sounds like some sorting of swirling metal noise and get some other noise when I'm traveling a bit faster but can't explain that sound lol.

Haven't tried paid much attention to the gear stick or anything tho

It's only a 10plate was MOTD and serviced when I brought it and its been around 2 months :/
The gearstick is only noticeable in extreme cases when the gearbox is on its last legs. There's no play in mine what so ever apart from the usual 1-2mm. It's the whine that's noticeable and vauxhall confirmed bearings.

What kind of noise is it? Swirling could be your disks against breaks? If its bothering you id take it to vauxhall and tell them specially if its 10 plate its even less out I'd manufacturers warranty. If its just been MOT'd and serviced I doubt it's anything to worry about they mate.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The gearstick is only noticeable in extreme cases when the gearbox is on its last legs. There's no play in mine what so ever apart from the usual 1-2mm. It's the whine that's noticeable and vauxhall confirmed bearings.

What kind of noise is it? Swirling could be your disks against breaks? If its bothering you id take it to vauxhall and tell them specially if its 10 plate its even less out I'd manufacturers warranty. If its just been MOT'd and serviced I doubt it's anything to worry about they mate.

Tbh I hate hearing noises, I'd rather something in break in front of me or something so then idknow what it was lol, noises plays games with u then u think does it do it when I brake or when I do this is this happening here etc etc etc

Yeah reckon ill have to, it's just a pain tho saying Iv got this noise can't explain it and I don't know where it's coming from :lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tbh I hate hearing noises, I'd rather something in break in front of me or something so then idknow what it was lol, noises plays games with u then u think does it do it when I brake or when I do this is this happening here etc etc etc

Yeah reckon ill have to, it's just a pain tho saying Iv got this noise can't explain it and I don't know where it's coming from :lol:
I know exactly what you mean fella haha :lol: they play mind tricks and half the time it's nothing but you think god I sounds bad! Always best to get them checked better safe than sorry!

And just ask if you can take them out in the car for a listen and when you hear it tell the mechanical you're out with and he'll hear it too then might be able to advise you on what it is/what to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts