Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

So I was in for a service recently and I was told that my Radiator has a small hole in it where the fan mount has hit it. I don't know how that happened, but Vaux aren't willing to cover it under warranty. I got a quote for a replacement from them, £300.

Does anyone know if its a big job to do at home? And How much is the coolant? I cant seem to see the right coolant to get a price online. Plus I don't know how much I need.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Undo the drain plug on the bottom of the rad to empty the coolant, remove the bolts on the slam pannel and move it out of the way, take the coolant pipes of the rad then remove I think it's 2 mounts on top of the rad and it should just lift out.
You can get coolant from europarts or anywhere like that, get the red long life coolant, I'd get it neat not premixed, only a tenner or so, as for how much it needs just get a watering can and fill it with a litre of coolant then a litre of distilled water, then top up once the car is up to temp, the level will drop once the engine reaches 88 degrees or so. Just top up accordingly

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks.
I forgot to say its a 1.3cdti, if that makes any difference, but I'm figuring its similar enough.

88degrees? Mine was normally running at 83 for most driving. Never noticed it going higher till the water pump failed, it got into the 90's then. Ins running at 79/80 under 2k revs now, but goes up to 88/89 once it goes over 2k.

I don't see any long life stuff, is this the stuff you meant?
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Opel_Corsa_1.3_2011/p/car-parts/car-lubricants-and-car-fluids/lubricant-and-fluids/anti-freeze2/?523770481&1&fe6466cf7e052341e6a9165c96a9032ca583d330&000397
For the amount, I'm guessing 10l is more than enough?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry mate I assumed you had a petrol haha! I'm not sure of the running temps of the 1.3s but anyway you'll notice the drop in water when the engine gets to temperature, as for removal I should imagine it's the same for the 1.3, shouldn't be to hard when you get into it anyway mate!
Yeah mate that's the stuff, in europarts the red anti freeze is long life
On autodata it says the total capacity for the coolant is 6.6l so 3.3 of anti freeze and 3.3 of water mate

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers man.

Need to save on this where I can. I blew out a tyre sidewall and bent the subframe brace at the weekend. Been an expensive week so far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I checked on there when I was looking, £17.99 for coolant, £28.74 for rad. Delivery is going to be the worst by the looks of it. Happy enough with that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I tried to do this yesterday. I can't figure out how to get the rad out from the top. I can see the bolts for the slam bar under the lights, so it they came, but it's riveted to more panels all round it and I can't seem to get it off.

Does anyone know if there's a guide or something for doing this on a 2011 1.3cdti? Anything I've found shows it being taken out from the bottom with a lift. I'm trying to do this in my drive :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know its a wee bit late,

But when we know a jobs going to be a right [email protected], phoned around for the cheapest quote then drop car of say there's no rush
cause your away for a few days! we have returned many a time to a scouling mechanic giving us crap of the time they spent LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't think the job was going to be this bad. might get the bumper off and take another look on Sunday, if its not raining.
Failing that I might just have to find a local mechanic who is reasonable for just doing the fitting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, did you manage to removed the radiator while putting the car up on axle stands? I have the same problem as you had and the same 1.3l diesel. Is there enough room to drop the radiator out from the bottom when the car is on axle stands?
I didn't think the job was going to be this bad. might get the bumper off and take another look on Sunday, if its not raining.
Failing that I might just have to find a local mechanic who is reasonable for just doing the fitting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts