Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I was on the M25 this morning and ran over what I'm guessing was a shredded tyre or other piece of rubber. There was a loud bang, but after testing my brakes, steering, acceleration, etc whilst moving, I decided all was OK and just carried on.

Fast forward 2.5 hours when I get 130 miles up the M1 and stop after leaving the motorway, I notice my car's making a noise when I accelerate. It's like a rumbling noise when I press the happy pedal, which I cannot replicate when I rev the engine at standstill. If I pull away really gently, the noise will not happen and when I accelerate at speed it does not seem to do it. The noise is quite loud and I can't see anything hanging off underneath, or when I go lock to lock.

Anyone got any ideas about what might be wrong? Only had the car 3 months and a dust cart has hit it. Been a bit of a curse really :icon_sad:

Thanks in advance,

Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say it's coming from the front, but it does sound like it's 'in' the car, so don't know whether there's anything mid way down that can be damaged? Can't hear anything outside when I stick my head out. Sorry, that's not helpful, but it's one of those noises that's hard to pin down.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Your exhaust may have come loose in the middle section? Rubber mounts maybe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking an exhaust mount, or worse still an engine mount. But I am left wondering as I can't get the noise to happen when revving.

Thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really hope it's not the gearbox. Is the gearbox very accessible to debris? Where is is on a D? I suppose things like an exhaust mount could still be possible as there'd be more vibration when the engine's under load?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, my old Fiat GP had something similar. Bendy piece of metal hanging under the engine.

Well, further to report now. Went over a speed cushion (square things in the road) and got a massive noise like something scraped the top of the bump. Made me jump, I can tell you! At least it enabled me to pinpoint the issue to the offside front area. Can't see anything hanging off though. Will get to the garage ASAP and report back in any case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, been away, so I haven't even got the car off the driveway yet :( Thanks for the concern. Rant time now though.

I did hear back from the Highways Agency and they said it was a shredded tyre and they will not be supplying me with the details of the vehicle insurance that should be paying for the damage as they cannot definitively put my car at the scene at the time. Biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard to be honest, considering that there are more cameras on the M25 than there are in a branch of Jessops! I am querying their emergency response too and whether it was timely enough, because the traffic wombles were at the scene and the tyre replacement was pretty much finished. So they were able to make it to the scene, without a speed restriction being put in place, with no attempt to clear the shredded tyre that they would have had to drive past in the first place to get to the van having its wheel changed... Anyone else smell a rat?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts