Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new to forum after my daughters 07 plate 1.2 petrol developed a fault yesterday.

Car simply didn’t start yesterday, recovery unit called out and mechanic has diagnosed Timing problem. Since verified by another garage listening to video. Sounds flat with no compression.

So my dilemma is what to do? Car bought a year ago for £2k and thought was a good example. Was about to get first service but seems like chain has snapped before we had chance to consider replacement.

I’m getting different advice ranging from just scrap it to start an investigation. We haven’t got money to waste on an investigation if it’s inevitable the engine is damaged beyond economical repair. On the other hand we can’t afford another £2k to start over!

I can’t see any similar-posts so hoping some of you knowledgable guys out there may have experience and and view of how we should proceed?

Currently trying to find a reasonably priced independent mechanic to also consult. Local garage is quoting £1,200 for just the timing chain replacement and that’s before any costs arising from engine. Hearing horror stories about sourcing second hand engines too.

Any help or advice gratefully received.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All, new to forum after my daughters 07 plate 1.2 petrol developed a fault yesterday.

Car simply didn’t start yesterday, recovery unit called out and mechanic has diagnosed Timing problem. Since verified by another garage listening to video. Sounds flat with no compression.

So my dilemma is what to do? Car bought a year ago for £2k and thought was a good example. Was about to get first service but seems like chain has snapped before we had chance to consider replacement.

I’m getting different advice ranging from just scrap it to start an investigation. We haven’t got money to waste on an investigation if it’s inevitable the engine is damaged beyond economical repair. On the other hand we can’t afford another £2k to start over!

I can’t see any similar-posts so hoping some of you knowledgable guys out there may have experience and and view of how we should proceed?

Currently trying to find a reasonably priced independent mechanic to also consult. Local garage is quoting £1,200 for just the timing chain replacement and that’s before any costs arising from engine. Hearing horror stories about sourcing second hand engines too.

Any help or advice gratefully received.
Thanks
The garage is ripping off

1 - 3 of 3 Posts