Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Sri Turbo on a 59 plate around 31k miles. I noticed probably from a couple of weeks of having it a whine in 5th gear now it wasn't stupidly loud but it was noticeable. I realised I hadn't heard it before as 5th gear isn't used much when you have a 6th.

So here's my dilemma. When I bought the car I got 15months warranty by some 3rd party warranty company (not vauxhall). I rang the dealership I bought it from explaining the problem and said its a common fault for the gear box bearings to perish with this specific gear box. (I don't know if that's the whine or not yet). The dealership said my warranty only covers £1000 including labour for any problems but if it did break it would be covered, I've heard people say it costs a lot more though if it is the bearings and they do completely go. He said that its not worth making a claim yet as they'd reject it due to it not being an immediate fault. In my opinion it would be cheaper to get it looked at and reconditioned or replaced now before it gets worse but I don't want to do this at my expense. Someone said try and get vauxhall to do it as a good will favour side it's only half a year past its manufacturer warranty.

The other part to this discussion is I was looking into getting a remap, but the guy said I'm best off getting my gearbox sorted before hand. Will it be worth doing that?

In all I just want some advice on what the whine could be, how I should go about it with vauxhall or my warranty, if anyone's had a similar problem etc etc.

Cheers, Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Common problem on the M32's

Don't get a remap before! Get the gearbox sorted first. Would just add extra strain on the components.
How should I go about that though? Since my warranty won't touch it unless it breaks basically and I doubt vauxhall will do it as a good will favour. I can't afford to spend £500 buying reconditioned and labour.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Think one of tomwvxr's does a bearing swap on the 6 speed box mate :shrug:
It wasa while ago so may be wrong??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not that I really can't afford, it's the fact I paid a fair price for this car and if Its a common fault it shouldve been noticed before hand, I mean in theory that's what warranty is to repair these stupid faults but like I say the dealership said he doubts they'll fix it unless it fully goes.

I've heard about people driving around with this whine for months and months within problem and a friend of mine said it would be ok until it starts getting really loud then to worry.

But I want a remap basically so I'm having to repair it to be safe when I shouldn't have to spend my own money on it in reality it's vauxhall who should do it to give me piece of mind.

How much is this usually to be fixed if it is bearings?

Not sure if that's exactly what it is yet, when I get my car serviced I'm going to ask them to listen and advise me a little more.

Keep the advice and opinions coming though as I'm sure people also have this problem. Cheers lads.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warren G does it for £380 on a Corsa so iv just been told so cheaper option,
Is that working with the current gearbox and replacing the bearings?

I still want vauxhall to confirm that it's the bearings otherwise I could be paying for something that doesn't need fixing. Could be anything really.

Got a feeling my gearbox linkages are out of line specially the 5th making the whine as I think my gear box mount rubber is perished need to look. That's my other theory anyway can only really be bearings or that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speak to warren, he will be able to advise, hes done well over 100 boxes now
Is he on this forum? I refuse to get Facebook and haven't registered with VXRonline yet but if he's on there I have mates who could get in touch.

Still keep this thread going I'd like to hear from someone who's had the problem etc or knows a bit more than your average car enthusiast since its not just me in this boat really.

Cheers for the feedback etc guys.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah he is, Warren G is his username, the bearing will need replacing if 5th and /or 6th gear is whining, if the gearstick moves when ou put your foot down in 5th or 6th get it seen to asap as if you leave it to long the gearbox will destroy itself and it will be alot more costly than £380
http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?182238-Vauxhall-M32-6-Speed-Rebuilds
Do you know where he's based mate? For travel. I'll see if the gear stick has much play in 5th after work tonight. It's in for a service on Saturday so Im going to mention in then. I can't hear it in 6th unless its really quiet as I have an exhaust system to can't hear much with that haha! So not sure if its in 6th but can hear it in 5th not stupidly loud though. Only happens after a certain speed too.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
In Kent, ME12 Postcode, Most places will charge alot more than £380 though and someone even came over from belguim the other day to have a new bearing fitted

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In Kent, ME12 Postcode, Most places will charge alot more than £380 though and someone even came over from belguim the other day to have a new bearing fitted
270 mile away. That's over 100 in fuel really. Ill still get in touch with him see if he can confirm it by what information I'm giving him but don't think ill travel that far I could get it done here for 480 probably and save the 5 hour drive.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I'm confused - you want vauxhall to sort it but you didn't get the car from Vauxhall? Surely you are out of warranty being a 59 so technically they don't have to help you.

Its a common problem - my gearbox went twice in 24000 miles - no racing - just remapped.

If like me you have a weak gearbox then a new one will be needed - mine was rebuilt by regal 4000 miles later pop again. Really depends on your gearbox but you need it done sooner rather than later otherwise more damage means more money. I didn't bother and that buggered it up even more.

Even if this was repaired under warranty once remap is put on gearbox could still go the following year :shrug:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts