Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Members often call dealers stealers but having read yet another thread today about back street cowboys throwing parts at cars that were never needed today i feel i must get this off my chest -

It always makes me laugh when i see people in forums talk about stealerships yet they happily take their cars to back street garages who will guess what is wrong and happily throw your money (parts and labour) at the problem until they stumble on the actual problem, they often put many parts onto the car that were never needed yet when it doesnt fix the problem never reimburse the customer for these parts and it would seem from many threads posted here these customers never ask to be reimbursed for work that was not needed, i would choose the stealership all day long over these cowboys.

Rant over.

I am not saying all small garages are cowboys but i would only take my car to one if it had a very good reputation in the local area.

·
Registered
972 Posts
People often call dealers stealers but having read yet another thread about back street cowboys throwing parts at cars that were never needed today i feel i must get this off my chest -

It always makes me laugh when i see people in forums talk about stealerships yet they happily take their cars to back street garages who will guess what is wrong and happily throw your money at the problem hoping they stumble on the actual problem, they often put many parts onto the car that were never needed yet when it doesnt fix the problem never reimburse the customer for these parts and it would seem from many threads posted here these customers never ask to be reimbursed for work that was not needed, i would choose the stealership all day long over these cowboys.

Rant over.
Lol I agree in alot here, I have had bad experiences with my vauxhall dealer before I got into cars but never called all dealership "stealerships" , the same with independent garages experienced some good and bad, end of they day you have to go off recommended actions and reviews and see what is best for you. I believe if your one of these.people who want a car but want nothing to go wrong with ever the the.first thing ur focus is price which rules out the dealerships but then be prepared if u got to a low price garage u can't expect top quality (unless the garage is very new and they Ng to build a reputation first)

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if u got to a low price garage u can't expect top quality
Sorry mate i have to disagree you should expect top quality whatever price you are paying, if the mechanic doesnt have the diagnostic equipment or doesn't have the knowledge to fix the problem he should be honest and tell you instead as we see here weekly putting parts on the car hoping it may magically fix the problem and when it doesn't carry on hoping the next part will be the one that fixes it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Sorry mate i have to disagree you should expect top quality whatever price you are paying, if the mechanic doesnt have the diagnostic equipment or doesn't have the knowledge to fix the problem he should be honest and tell you instead as we see here weekly putting parts on the car hoping it may magically fix the problem and when it doesn't carry on hoping the next part will be the one that fixes it.
Each to their own, but I believe common sense is needed, if u pay a.mechanic £50 for for a 3hr job, the saying of "too good to be true" rings loud, and you have also be willing to except this may not end well, yes you don't dictate a mechanic what his rates should be but again if someone is selling a car for £100 and says it runs fine, 99.9 times out of 100 there will be further issues, if u go in with the mindset of this possibility you can better evaluate what is best.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each to their own, but I believe common sense is needed, if u pay a.mechanic £50 for for a 3hr job, the saying of "too good to be true" rings loud, and you have also be willing to except this may not end well,
That's not really what i meant you said "if u got to a low price garage u can't expect top quality" what i am saying is whatever you pay you should get top quality (the best they can offer) not guesswork and having to pay for things that were not necessary, why are these mechanics not honest and say we put a new XXXXX on the car and it didn't fix the problem so we trmoverd it and will not charge for that and try a ZZZZZ instead.

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,404 Posts
Just to add my 2 pence worth to the discussion, given most corsa d’s are 8 years plus in age, then, yes, it’s only a corsa, you think about going to a good local garage you trust, but would you have a 8 year old Ferrari anywhere else than a main dealer? I know Ferrari is different to a corsa, but that corsa to one person wil be their Ferrari!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally agree Dave.

I do think they overcharge for diagnostics but if they find the problem straight away its not going to cost you more in parts than if you use a non franchised garage that uses more parts than is really required, i am lucky i have a relative that works in a garage in town so i know they are not going to take the **** if i didn't have this option i would use a dealer, some dealers also charge a lower hourly labour charges for older cars so it may be worth phoning round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You assume the (st)dealership will have better luck diagnosing the issue, or be honest about the work they've done. The way I see it, an indie shop has to prove their worth to customers, or they go down due to bad reputation. The (st)dealership will be there no matter the rep because people still think "licensed" garages are any better.
I'd rather have an old wrench fix my Corsa in his back yard, he has an OBD scanner just as good as Opel/VX garages, and there's no way for him to bring in a novice to screw up your car.

If you find the price and quality of service you're getting is good, then keep going where you've been going. They say a good mechanic is worth their weight in gold, you seem to have found yours. All I know is my local Opel dealer is filled with people who don't know much more than "hook up to scanner and hope the service manual explains it".

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd rather have an old wrench fix my Corsa in his back yard, he has an OBD scanner just as good as Opel/VX garages, and there's no way for him to bring in a novice to screw up your car.
You have basically seconded what i said, if you know a reputable non franchise garage that has the proper gear to diagnose the problem by all means use it what boils my **** is the amount of threads here that start my car was not running right so i took it to the garage they put a new part on it and it ran fine for a day then it started doing the same thing again so i took it back they said it needed another part and fitted it a week later the car was doing the same thing again so i took it back and they now say it needs another part, these are the clueless cowboy rip off merchants that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a modern car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My argument was that dealership can employ these clueless cowboys just as well 😅
Either case if these posters are too dim to realize they're flushing money down the drain by having "their mechanic" replace perfectly good parts, let them be. No use getting worked over what people post online, or what they do with their money, just my two cents.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No use getting worked over what people post online, or what they do with their money, just my two cents.
I was hoping my rant may save someone some money, there are plenty of people happy to post negative stuff about the stealerships i bet 90% of them have never visited one.

My argument was that dealership can employ these clueless cowboys just as well
Dealer mechanics do a 4 years apprentiship on one make whereas a back street garage doesn't do anything just works there and has to gain experience of all models, i know which one i would prefer to work on my car

Either case if these posters are too dim to realize they're flushing money down the drain b
This is the problem the naïve car owner who's car has just let them down trusts the garage mechanic and if the car owner knows little about how cars work they are not going to challenge the cowboy over fitting more parts.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
20 years plus ago there was more mechanics, people who could diagnose a problem with a car from 50 metres away, and have the part ready or mended by tea time, nowadays it appears as if they are fitters that put parts on because the computer has told you that has failed, ie no real skill involved, yes a full dealer history is a lovey thing to see on a used car and when buying used finding that on the old granny car that’s 10 years old, been washed dried polished and garaged after every trip out, only ever been ran on shell or bp, has the same brand tyres on from new and has done 3,000 miles a year and never been above 2,500 rpm or seen a maccies car park is a complete unicorn, but they’re out there!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
20 years plus ago there was more mechanics, people who could diagnose a problem with a car from 50 metres away, and have the part ready or mended by tea time, nowadays it appears as if they are fitters that put parts on because the computer has told you that has failed
That's the hammer hit on the head Dave.

Back in the day cars didn't have computers, injected engines and all the stuff we are used to today and you didn't need lots of fancy stuff to diagnose problems today as you say we have fitters who put parts on cars when the computer tells them to, the problem comes when the mechanic doesn't have all the gear the dealer does to diagnose the problem then starts blindly fitting parts trying to solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Although if you could go back in time and tell them a ford 1.0 3 cyl eco boost could produce 230 odd bhp tuned, I suspect you’d be burned at the stake for practicing witchcraft! Remember what a revaluation 204 was in a 2.0 16valve cavalier turbo at the time, was bad enough!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts