Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says really. My steering wheel has started to shake and wobble; sometimes quite vigorously when i get to 80mph and beyond. Only reason i could think of is either a buckled wheel or it needs tracking and balancing. Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Think your not far wrong with the balancing, could be just one wheel off balanced.

Tracking usually results in the car pulling to one side and maybe the steering wheel not being in then correct position when driving straight.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Nick says it sounds like the balance. Get both front ones redone.

Is the shake happening on just one surface (I.e your usual run to work) or lots of different roads? Some motorways are awful with lorry ruts.
It seems to be on all surfaces, theres a new bit of motorway thats flat and still does it on there.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
see what happens when you hit 88mph maybe you will go back in time? :lol:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Problem in few Corsa's buddy, get the whole front end checked, they will do the typical remedies etc, re-balance, tracking and wheel inspection. But another hidden problem can be a warped or pair of warped brake discs in the Corsa's, relative of mines had this and cause extreme vibration and needed new discs all the works to get it remedied.

But get it checked asap and make sure not to leave till your happy, because it can be a matter that involves great risk driving with the car like that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem in few Corsa's buddy, get the whole front end checked, they will do the typical remedies etc, re-balance, tracking and wheel inspection. But another hidden problem can be a warped or pair of warped brake discs in the Corsa's, relative of mines had this and cause extreme vibration and needed new discs all the works to get it remedied.

But get it checked asap and make sure not to leave
till your happy, because it can be a matter that involves great risk driving with the car like that.
Can that happen suddenlymas it is only the last couple of days that it has started.

·
Banned
4,768 Posts
As title says really. My steering wheel has started to shake and wobble; sometimes quite vigorously when i get to 80mph and beyond. Only reason i could think of is either a buckled wheel or it needs tracking and balancing. Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Try going the legal speed limit and see how it goes ?

On that note id just like to ask Corsa D members not to drive like T**** as one of my friends died for driving 10mph over the speed limit =/
its not only you on the roads remember that guys .. you don't want to give us D's a bad name... but most important, no one on here wants to loose a member or a car...

TJ

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Its not just about going the limit though its where your driving and what conditions your driving in for example the limit down the majority of narrow country lanes is 60 but would you really go 60 down them its all about a time and a place and common sense.
Sorry to hear about your friend tj i know how it feels to lose a friend in an accident.

·
Trader, Standard Product Trader
530 Posts
You should find a garage with a Hunter balancing machine.

I went to 4 or 5 different garages to try and get this sorted on my car, was driving me nuts. Each garage said the balancing was out and added weights. This made the shaking come in at different speeds each time, but it never went away.

By the time I got it to a garage with a Hunter machine, it was so far out that it was off the scale and the machine thought the wheel wasn't on properly. So they ditched all the weights and started again, and now it's perfect.

The reason the Hunter machine is better is because it simulates a road surface as well as just spinning the wheel round, so it can measure how the tyre and wheel perform under load.

If you are round the Yorkshire area, I would go to Allcar tyres near Huddersfield, that's where I took mine and the lads in there know their stuff.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Try going the legal speed limit and see how it goes ?

On that note id just like to ask Corsa D members not to drive like T**** as one of my friends died for driving 10mph over the speed limit =/
its not only you on the roads remember that guys .. you don't want to give us D's a bad name... but most important, no one on here wants to loose a member or a car...

TJ
Sorry to hear about your friend TJ, but it's not about the speed limit here. Anyone of us can go to France or Germany quite easily and the speed limits there are a lot higher. I'd rather someone got their cars checked out so that they ran smoothly at any speed rather than suffer a mechanical failure and end up hurt - or worse.

As far as I am aware non of the Corsa groups have ever condoned illegal driving and I'm sure anyone who was bragging or posting about such feats would quickly be dealt with.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fyi, i do not drive like a T***, i dont think doing 80 on an empty motorway at midnight is unreasonable. Im sorry to hear about your friend but i am a sensible driver and would never endanger the safety of others.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Phew, everyone's gone political & started preaching just because Vivante happend to mention about his steering wheel wobble @ 80!

NO one's condoning breaking any speed limits, but we all do (even slightly) from time to time.

Let's just keep to the origjnal post!! = probably one of the balancing weights has fallen off.:p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts