Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2013 corsa d 1.2 and the thermostat will not open so the vehicle is overheating. I have changed the head gasket, water pump at first and then found out it won’t open replaced the thermostat, and temperature sensors but still no luck.
Anyone had this problem before?

·
Registered
2008 SRI-Turbo
201 Posts
Hey,
are you 100% sure it’s not opening and that there isn’t a blockage in the coolant system?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I got a 2013 corsa d 1.2 and the thermostat will not open so the vehicle is overheating. I have changed the head gasket, water pump at first and then found out it won’t open replaced the thermostat, and temperature sensors but still no luck.
Anyone had this problem before?
Yeah are you sure it's not opening, these can be hard to open in a sense that they open at 105c - 107c degrees. But then your radiator fan should kick in around 109c , so not much room to fully open before it cools down. When you say it is overheating, what temperatures is it getting up to? And is your radiator fan turning on?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve compared it to another corsa the same and that opens around 103-104 and then the pipe warms up and rad sensor also creeps up to match. Mine take it up to 110 and the water starts to boil and the fan spins around 109 on slow speed which must be reading off the engine block sensor, the pipe from thermostat to rad is cold and rad sensor only reading 17. I’ve checked for any blockages

·
Registered
933 Posts
I’ve compared it to another corsa the same and that opens around 103-104 and then the pipe warms up and rad sensor also creeps up to match. Mine take it up to 110 and the water starts to boil and the fan spins around 109 on slow speed which must be reading off the engine block sensor, the pipe from thermostat to rad is cold and rad sensor only reading 17. I’ve checked for any blockages
Yeah this is where things get fuzzy, as I had issues like this you and I have same car a 2013 1.2 sxi and about 4 years I posted about temperature's and back then (when forum was more busy) I was having.people say there's opens up at 103, 95, 90 , 105,. My temperatures are exactly like yours and back then I was worried, but I had it at vauxhall numerous times and they said it was fine). "Luckily" my water pump failed a couple years later and I replaced it and in doing so I changed my thermostat (just to do it). Before refitting tested my old and new thermostat and they both opened at 107c using an analogue and digital thermometer (I did a whole write up / thread on it if you search my posts). I also replaced coolant temp sensor in rad (just to do it) tested both old and new and they were working. Now mine can take a few cycles to open and I have worried just like you, but it does open, so I would suggest let you car get upto temp and let the radiator fan kick in atleast four times or run car at temp for 15-20 mins and see if the lower rad pipe gets hot, seriously they can take awhile. Due to the numbers opening at and rad turning on are so close, just let your car push the itself abit before you condem it. As it seems you have replaced everything almost possible.

Lastly

1) Check your radiator bleed screw is not leaking , this was leaking mine and I had to replace rad

2) you may want to buy the new coolant bottle lid from vauxhall, they have updated them to a black design with a metal coil inside now

3) how do you know the temp sensor is reading 17?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah this is where things get fuzzy, as I had issues like this you and I have same car a 2013 1.2 sxi and about 4 years I posted about temperature's and back then (when forum was more busy) I was having.people say there's opens up at 103, 95, 90 , 105,. My temperatures are exactly like yours and back then I was worried, but I had it at vauxhall numerous times and they said it was fine). "Luckily" my water pump failed a couple years later and I replaced it and in doing so I changed my thermostat (just to do it). Before refitting tested my old and new thermostat and they both opened at 107c using an analogue and digital thermometer (I did a whole write up / thread on it if you search my posts). I also replaced coolant temp sensor in rad (just to do it) tested both old and new and they were working. Now mine can take a few cycles to open and I have worried just like you, but it does open, so I would suggest let you car get upto temp and let the radiator fan kick in atleast four times or run car at temp for 15-20 mins and see if the lower rad pipe gets hot, seriously they can take awhile. Due to the numbers opening at and rad turning on are so close, just let your car push the itself abit before you condem it. As it seems you have replaced everything almost possible.

Lastly

1) Check your radiator bleed screw is not leaking , this was leaking mine and I had to replace rad

2) you may want to buy the new coolant bottle lid from vauxhall, they have updated them to a black design with a metal coil inside now

3) how do you know the temp sensor is reading 17?

How did you test your thermostat? I was told they are electronic controlled by the ecu. I’ve been speaking to a Vauxhall master tech and he seems to think ECU fault as that’s all I got left.. I’ve got a diagnostic kit to read the rad sensor and when you open the bleed valve the rad is stone cold..
thanks for the bottle cap info mines yellow so I’ll try that one as well

·
Registered
933 Posts
How did you test your thermostat? I was told they are electronic controlled by the ecu. I’ve been speaking to a Vauxhall master tech and he seems to think ECU fault as that’s all I got left.. I’ve got a diagnostic kit to read the rad sensor and when you open the bleed valve the rad is stone cold..
thanks for the bottle cap info mines yellow so I’ll try that one as well
Hey Pal,

I managed to find my long thread spanning years of research lol, give this a read: What is our Operating Temperature??.

2) I tested the thermostat via using cooking oil which can be seen in the above link.

3) I wanted to help ease your concern so I went out for a drive this morning and got the following results .

-10.22am I set of driving car reading 5c ( normal 30mph roads
  • 10.37am : car temp 107c
  • 10.38: car temp 109c
-10:44: Back home park on drive
-10:55: Car temp 105-107c Lower rad hose is warm
- from there maintained up and down just sitting on car between 109- 100c degress, lower rad being warm throughout.

4) Things to look out / to do.
- Replace the cap (nice and cheap but go vauxall to ensure it is genuine)
-Look at wiring: the wiring that goes to the coolant temp sensor on the side of the rad, mine was frayed , I was meant to replace it but Mrs needed car back so had to tape back up for now.
-Airlock possible: I would recommend going up and down motorway for 30-40 mins and drive the car in lower gears doing decent speed. Then drive in low gears (4th) with heater blazing on max , in the window mode and also shooting on you.
- Let the car push it self, just let it heat up and down (fan cooling it) a good amount of times, I would say after 30 minutes of the radiator fan going on and off if the lower rad hose isn't getting warm then could be a deeper issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Pal,

I managed to find my long thread spanning years of research lol, give this a read: What is our Operating Temperature??.

2) I tested the thermostat via using cooking oil which can be seen in the above link.

3) I wanted to help ease your concern so I went out for a drive this morning and got the following results .

-10.22am I set of driving car reading 5c ( normal 30mph roads
  • 10.37am : car temp 107c
  • 10.38: car temp 109c
-10:44: Back home park on drive
-10:55: Car temp 105-107c Lower rad hose is warm
- from there maintained up and down just sitting on car between 109- 100c degress, lower rad being warm throughout.

4) Things to look out / to do.
- Replace the cap (nice and cheap but go vauxall to ensure it is genuine)
-Look at wiring: the wiring that goes to the coolant temp sensor on the side of the rad, mine was frayed , I was meant to replace it but Mrs needed car back so had to tape back up for now.
-Airlock possible: I would recommend going up and down motorway for 30-40 mins and drive the car in lower gears doing decent speed. Then drive in low gears (4th) with heater blazing on max , in the window mode and also shooting on you.
- Let the car push it self, just let it heat up and down (fan cooling it) a good amount of times, I would say after 30 minutes of the radiator fan going on and off if the lower rad hose isn't getting warm then could be a deeper issue.

Thanks pal much appreciated this car is spinning me out, I’ve changed everything apart from the rad, bottle cap and ecu, but can’t see it being the rad itself.. Is your lower rad pipe hot after a run?
Mine is definitely not opening after comparing with another just clueless what it is

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi i am thinking out of the box now .why dont you try a simple thing like draining the coolant and filling again while avoiding any airlocks.you seem to have replaced most of the coolant componants.i know u have to put new coolant when u replaced the water pump but this is a long shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi i am thinking out of the box now .why dont you try a simple thing like draining the coolant and filling again while avoiding any airlocks.you seem to have replaced most of the coolant componants.i know u have to put new coolant when u replaced the water pump but this is a long shot.
Hi
Thanks It’s possibly worth a try That thought has gone through my head many times as a possible air lock but I’ve drained and filled so many times changing all parts. 🤔

·
Registered
642 Posts
I am sure you must have done this.Squeeze the relevant cold section of the hose when refilling with coolant.
make sure the heating controls are on full blast and engine running.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey Podz ,

1) What are you using to check the temperature of the coolant sensors on the rad and engine block.

2) When you say water is boiling what are you actually seeing (describe it for me)

3) Did you ever look at the wiring going to the coolant temp sensor to the radiator. Look at where the wire meets the head of the connector.

4) Give this a watch, it may seem like it's not associated to you at start but provides some more info with the thermostat:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Podz ,

1) What are you using to check the temperature of the coolant sensors on the rad and engine block.

2) When you say water is boiling what are you actually seeing (describe it for me)

3) Did you ever look at the wiring going to the coolant temp sensor to the radiator. Look at where the wire meets the head of the connector.

4) Give this a watch, it may seem like it's not associated to you at start but provides some more info with the thermostat:

Hey pal
I’ve got one of those opcom diagnostic m, and plugged a snap on Ethos in.
boiling I mean you can feel it boiling in the pipes and boiling in the expansion bottle that’s why I’m scared to push it much further
Yes I’ve checked all wiring to and from ECU that rad sensor wire was faulty after someone repaired previously so rewired that..
Ok thanks I’ll watch the video

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey pal
I’ve got one of those opcom diagnostic m, and plugged a snap on Ethos in.
boiling I mean you can feel it boiling in the pipes and boiling in the expansion bottle that’s why I’m scared to push it much further
Yes I’ve checked all wiring to and from ECU that rad sensor wire was faulty after someone repaired previously so rewired that..
Ok thanks I’ll watch the video
Hey Podz

Been having my own investigation and findings today, so was wondering if I could ask a favour of you to compare , as you and I seem the same and our friends cars seem similar also.

So basically today I compared my 1.2 Corsa sxi to my friends 1.2 Corsa sxi BUT the difference is that hers was a limited edition (was with AC), on a 63 plate and mine was a I custom configured ordered it from new on a 13 plate. I was checking their temperature numbers and her thermostat opens up around 103 - 106 degrees. Now their radiator fan kicked in at 98c on low speed and the it also kicks in at 109c on high. Now my car only has one speed which is at 109c, but am now wondering should it also have two, or was there there a slight change from the limited edition sxi to the normal sxi 1.2's in 2013. I took a picture of the radiator fan connections and they are different. First picture: Is my Radiator fan connector. Second picture: is her connection.

Could I ask you when you have a moment to take a pic of your radiator connector, also tell me if you have two fan speeds and the is your car a 13 / 63 plate?

Thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Podz

Been having my own investigation and findings today, so was wondering if I could ask a favour of you to compare , as you and I seem the same and our friends cars seem similar also.

So basically today I compared my 1.2 Corsa sxi to my friends 1.2 Corsa sxi BUT the difference is that hers was a limited edition (was with AC), on a 63 plate and mine was a I custom configured ordered it from new on a 13 plate. I was checking their temperature numbers and her thermostat opens up around 103 - 106 degrees. Now their radiator fan kicked in at 98c on low speed and the it also kicks in at 109c on high. Now my car only has one speed which is at 109c, but am now wondering should it also have two, or was there there a slight change from the limited edition sxi to the normal sxi 1.2's in 2013. I took a picture of the radiator fan connections and they are different. First picture: Is my Radiator fan connector. Second picture: is her connection.

Could I ask you when you have a moment to take a pic of your radiator connector, also tell me if you have two fan speeds and the is your car a 13 / 63 plate?

Thanks again

Hi mate, yeah mine is a 2013 limited edition and the one I compared with is also limited edition 13 plate and that opened at 103c. My fan is only working very slow speed at around 109ish degrees when it hasn’t opened
I’ll have a look at rad connector for you tomorrow 👍

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey Podz,

Thanks for doing this. As thought yours matches my friends.

- I would investigate into your low fan speed not working, as that could be an under lying issue. I need to figure out of my style of radiator is meant to have two fan speeds or not.

- Also when you originally changed the head gasket, was it yourself who did it? when was this done? What caused the gasket to fail?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Podz,

Thanks for doing this. As thought yours matches my friends.

- I would investigate into your low fan speed not working, as that could be an under lying issue. I need to figure out of my style of radiator is meant to have two fan speeds or not.

- Also when you originally changed the head gasket, was it yourself who did it? when was this done? What caused the gasket to fail?

Hey 👋
My low fan speed works But the high speed won’t work which I think is due to the thermostat not opening..
Yes I done the head gasket before Christmas and the thermostat not opening i think is the reason it failed as that hasn’t opened since.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Wel just to clarify based from my friend limited edition sxi, the LOW fan speed should kick in at 98c and then the HIGH fan speed should be 109c. So I would check that your not confusing the high for low. Was your thermostat not opening before the head gasket fail or had you never checked before then?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wel just to clarify based from my friend limited edition sxi, the LOW fan speed should kick in at 98c and then the HIGH fan speed should be 109c. So I would check that your not confusing the high for low. Was your thermostat not opening before the head gasket fail or had you never checked before then?

No definitely the fan wasn’t going very fast when it hit 109c. I can’t really say whether it opened before as I bought the car with head gasket fail as a do up car for the girlfriend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts