Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My daughter's boyfriend's mechanic dad has told her that the timing belt only needs to be changed when it starts making a noise. I'm a bit concerned would you say this is okay or at what mileage should she get it done.

TIA

Taff

·
Registered
277 Posts
The only Corsa D that has a Cam Belt is the 1.7 diesel i assume the mechanic meant cam chain not belt as the cam belt doesn't get noisy it snaps, the cam chain should last the lifetime of the car If you keep the oil and filter changed regularly it will also give you a warning by making a noise should the tensioner stop working but that is not something we see posted regularly so don't worry.

Does Corsa D have timing belt or chain?
Clearly geared towards low running costs from the outset, the Corsa is unlikely to break the bank whatever version you go for. ... It's also worth noting that the 1.7-litre diesel is the only Corsa engine fitted with a cambelt, which must be changed every 10 years or 60,000 miles, at a significant expense.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi

My daughter's boyfriend's mechanic dad has told her that the timing belt only needs to be changed when it starts making a noise. I'm a bit concerned would you say this is okay or at what mileage should she get it done.

TIA

Taff
If it's a timing belt it should be done every 4-5 years or 70k. If it's a timing chain , yes most other only change it if it gets noisey, but should be ok as long as servicing is carried out. If you know what make and model Corsa your daughter has we can tell if it is belt or chain driven.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,326 Posts
Best option is find out how much a chain kit is, labour etc and decide from there. Try euro car parts as you can get an idea of things there

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry Dave a totally disagree if the chain is not making any noise don't give changing it a thought keep the oil and filter changed regularly and it wont give you any problems there is no need to change it unless it becomes noisy and i mean noisy -

·
Premium Member
2012 sxi 1.2 5 door in black
1,326 Posts
All I ment was if it’s £200 to supply and fit and he feels it needs to be done, that’s his choice, I, like you, think, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts