Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There
OK So today i found out that my Timing Chain has snapped after turning the engine over after a week of no use.I can fix this, but how will i know if the valves have bent?

Also any more advice on this topic will be appreciated.
Cheers

Vauxhall Corsa D 1.4

·
Registered
97 Posts
where the cams are take the two bolts off then theres several at the side of the water pump that go into the head its self. then theres 12 head bolts holding the head onto the block lift the head off and you will be able to see clearly if the rods are bent. however you might be able to see under the cams and see if the rockers have came off the lifters it would indicate a bent rod

·
Registered
305 Posts
Think i managed a picture ( sorry new to this, i'm usually a drag & drop guy )
[/URL][/IMG]
Yes this picture you have posted is just taking off the rocker cover. Removing the head is all that in front of you.

If you give this guy a watch he is currently removing and disassembling an engine out of a car. Albeit this is for a mini cooper it may give you an idea on where to start and a general outline of what to expect. This is in a series of videos but a good watch to learn about what your doing

https://youtu.be/w4jeSM_dK_s

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
If the chain snapped and you turned the engine over it will have bent have valves.

The Corsa isn't a non-interference engine so valves and pistons occupy the same space if they're not timed in.

As said you would need to take the head off, or perhaps run a borescope down the spark plug hole and you will see indents on the pistons where the valves have hit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi There
OK So today i found out that my Timing Chain has snapped after turning the engine over after a week of no use.I can fix this, but how will i know if the valves have bent?

Also any more advice on this topic will be appreciated.
Cheers

Vauxhall Corsa D 1.4
How did you get on in the end with this matey?

·
Registered
3 Posts
the main sockets you will need are tork , just support engine with jack,
remove exhaust manifold
remove engine mount
remove water pump / timing case
I always put engine mount back on ( but don't have to)
remove harness from inlet manifold, or undo few bolts that hold manifold on
then remove head bolts,
take cams out keeping them in an order you can put back same as they came out
turn head over all valves should be closed,
if not then these are bent, then check rest by spraying wd40 or similar around valve seats and see if ti leaks through as some may be bent but not obvious,
or price up engine and fit whole engine, as by time you get timing chain kit head gasket, valves , and why head off i would get a skim as in future head gasket will go any way so may as well get it done why head is off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
***UPDATE*** Good News, in the end I managed to purchase a engine, but I was sent a manual ( not auto which my car is ). After a few changes the car is up & running, the car turns over first time every time!!

But... the engine sounds like a tractor I called a Vauxhall garage and explained, they told me to "change the oil".. Now as the previous engine was A auto I was using 5w/40 . would I need a thicker oil as this is a manual?? if so what Would be the best to use??

Thanks for all your advise guys!! I'm no mechanic but I have a little knowledge.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Being auto or manual won't make any difference to the engine oil - they'll be using the same.

Have you tried to narrow down where the noise is coming from?

Sometimes "sounding like a tractor" is usually the timing chain needing replaced but you'll be able tell if the noise is coming from the camcover/drivers side of the engine.

If its coming from the top it might just be tappets so an oil change may help and running through some tappet additive/an engine flush solution.

If the engine has been standing a while prior to you fitting it will probably be tappets.

·
Registered
305 Posts
***UPDATE*** Good News, in the end I managed to purchase a engine, but I was sent a manual ( not auto which my car is ). After a few changes the car is up & running, the car turns over first time every time!!

But... the engine sounds like a tractor I called a Vauxhall garage and explained, they told me to "change the oil".. Now as the previous engine was A auto I was using 5w/40 . would I need a thicker oil as this is a manual?? if so what Would be the best to use??

Thanks for all your advise guys!! I'm no mechanic but I have a little knowledge.
Hey Lordicon how did you get on with new engine and oil change?. Did you swap out the engine yourself?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts