Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,

I have recently enquired through Vauxhall Lookers as I now do a fair few motorway miles and my 1.2 LE is killing me on petrol. I was after something with a bit more kick whilst maintaining good mpg. I have been looking at the Astra CDTI's 1.7 or 2.0 litre.

Problem is I am on finance with my LE and have only owned it for about 16 months of the 5 year finance package.

Lookers have quoted me a 1.7 CDTI Energy 5 door where I do not pay any deposit, they take on my LE finance and I start a new 5 year 0% finance deal for the Astra. I currently pay around £190 p/m for the LE and they have quoted me £283 p/m for the new astra.

What do you guys reckon? Is this worth it seeing as the mpg will be 100x better or does anyone know a way of getting a better deal?

I will appreciate any ideas, tips or opinions!

Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Entirely up to u bro!
Haha thanks for the advice mate!!! :icon_wink:

I do really fancy upgrading to something that actually moves and a full tank that lasts longer than a week.

It is more than what I wanted to pay p/m to be honest but I didn't really know what to expect seeing as I don't technically own my current car.

I was worried about insurance but it is easily affordable and there is only a few pounds difference between the 1.7 and 2.0 litre but I know that the 2.0 litre will be more expensive.

I am struggling to work out whether it is worth paying almost £100 more p/m however :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I would try go for the 2.0 but thats because I have a the 1.7 in my Corsa D and I want more power. Astra weighs a lot too so bigger engine is advised, bet you get more MPG out of it as well under normal driving as its better suited to the size of car.

·
Registered
546 Posts
the extra you pay though a month doest it just work out cheaper to fill your current car up a month

·
Premier Member
11,681 Posts
Will the Astra save you £100pcm in running costs? Because it is going to cost you almost that much more pcm to buy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will the Astra save you £100pcm in running costs? Because it is going to cost you almost that much more pcm to buy.
I agree with all of you regarding the running costs but as mentioned I do want something a bit faster too so I am trying to weigh up how much more I would be willing to spend to achieve better mpg and to also drive a car that I actually enjoy.

I spoke to Bristol Street today and they are going to look into it for me and call me back Monday. They think a nearly new Astra would suit me better as I should be able to get a 2 litre rather than a 1.7 and monthly costs will be lower than buying new so hopefully it should be cheaper than Lookers quoted me.

I was wondering if anyone had done something similar part way through their finance and had any ideas or tips to get a better deal and 'barter' with the dealers :lmao: ???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it have to be brand new? Look for a tidy Astra 1.9 CDTi 150PS XP SRi.
Is this in the older Astra shape? As mentioned in my last post Bristol Street have recommended nearly new (e.g. 6 months old) to work out cheaper. I don't think they will buy me out of my current finance deal if I am buying something cheaper than nearly new. They are going to want to make some sort of decent commission lol

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Is this in the older Astra shape? As mentioned in my last post Bristol Street have recommended nearly new (e.g. 6 months old) to work out cheaper. I don't think they will buy me out of my current finance deal if I am buying something cheaper than nearly new. They are going to want to make some sort of decent commission lol
Yeah its an Astra H, made them upto an 09. Can't you sell yours privately and write the finance off?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah its an Astra H, made them upto an 09. Can't you sell yours privately and write the finance off?
To be fair I haven't really thought of that option. I've never sold a car before, I have always part exchanged so not sure how much hassle it is. Suppose I would have to check with my finance to see what their policy is on early repayment too, not all finance companies allow this as far as I am aware? :dontknow:

It is a good point that I hadn't considered though. I did like the look of the Astra H too. I imagine they're a little cheaper now the Astra J is out too?

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
To be fair I haven't really thought of that option. I've never sold a car before, I have always part exchanged so not sure how much hassle it is. Suppose I would have to check with my finance to see what their policy is on early repayment too, not all finance companies allow this as far as I am aware? :dontknow:

It is a good point that I hadn't considered though. I did like the look of the Astra H too. I imagine they're a little cheaper now the Astra J is out too?
I'm not sure how finance works either! lol. It might be somthing you could ask?

Yeah its a nice car the Astra H. The 1.9CDTi goes like **** off a shovel too. Remaped can see 200BHP aswell! You can get one with leather, heated seats, navigation the lot for good money! But whatever you do, don't get the 1.7, its a bit underpowered for the size of the car!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure how finance works either! lol. It might be somthing you could ask?

Yeah its a nice car the Astra H. The 1.9CDTi goes like **** off a shovel too. Remaped can see 200BHP aswell! You can get one with leather, heated seats, navigation the lot for good money!
Cheers for the advice mate :up: gave me another avenue to consider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its somthing i'd consider, however as you said it entirely depends on if you can sell yours for a decent price. Or how long it could take to sell.
No it's definitely something to consider for sure. I am just having a look on autotrader now to see what sort of prices they are going for. The next question is do I go for a 3 door or 5 door. I much prefer 3 doors in general on all vauxhalls but I'm 23 now and maybe should start being more responsible and get a 5 door :sleep: (this is the missus' point of view too and we all know how important it is to stay in the good books :angel:)

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
No it's definitely something to consider for sure. I am just having a look on autotrader now to see what sort of prices they are going for. The next question is do I go for a 3 door or 5 door. I much prefer 3 doors in general on all vauxhalls but I'm 23 now and maybe should start being more responsible and get a 5 door :sleep: (this is the missus' point of view too and we all know how important it is to stay in the good books :angel:)
Kids can work out how to put the seat forward can't they!? :D (if thats what you meant?) Suppose a 5 door is more practical, but a 3 looks alot better!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kids can work out how to put the seat forward can't they!? :D (if thats what you meant?) Suppose a 5 door is more practical, but a 3 looks alot better!
Haha love this!!! I am trying my hardest to convince her a 3 door is the way forward. We can always get a cheap 5 door when the stork decides to pay us a visit :ninja:

·
Registered
17 Posts
17k for an Astra Energy? Isn't that a mediocre spec? How many miles are you doing a year?

Also if you are looking for something faster you might end up a little dissapointed. Unless things have changed since I had a company Astra SRi 1.7 they are slower than a milkfloat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts