Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having gone from an Astra VXR to a Corsa LE I am now bored with it and want a new car.

I now have a new job which is an hour commute away so I'm thinking of getting a diesel, in particular a Seat Leon FR 170.

Has anyone been in the VAG scene before or driven the 2.0 TDi engine? If so what car would you recommend?

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
VAG Diesels are one of the best Diesels out there. Before we bought our D Black Edition, the Wife had a Mark 4 Golf Diesel for 13 years. It never let us down at all. It was only age versus work needing done that made us trade it in. A friend of mine has the same engine as your are looking at in a Octi VRS, pulls like a train.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do the maths before going down the diesel route; my commute is about 1 and half hours (40 miles), one way, and do the journey very comfortably in my 1.4 Corsa (I won't mention mpg as it's an auto lol). A lot of petrols are now matching oil burners in terms of performance, mpg and tax.

If you're just after a change then you can't really go wrong with a VAG oil burner, although their TSI engines are meant to be good too. The TDi's do pull like a train, the 1.8TDi's are quick too.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
sorry mate i beg to differ here,tell me any 2.o ltr petrol car that will return 50mpg and top over 150 mph,vag cars ie audi,vw,seat and skoda do,one thing for sure no vx will do these figures

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
Petrols and diesels are nearly alike for emmisions and tax. But as speed with MPG diesels are still ahead. Im with 300 on the VAG thing. The TSFI engines are great motors and are worth a good look at. But you cant beat a big lazy diesel engine thats under stressed so you have penty of scope to up the BHP. The 2lt VAG diesel engine in the skoda's is loved by taxi drivers as its bulletproof, quickish, good mpg and cheap to maintain/buy. Why buy a VW when a Skoda is just as good just has no badge

·
Registered
637 Posts
sorry mate i beg to differ here,tell me any 2.o ltr petrol car that will return 50mpg and top over 150 mph,vag cars ie audi,vw,seat and skoda do,one thing for sure no vx will do these figures
Didn't say "like-for-like" capacities. I meant in terms of tech, a 1.4TSI from VAG equates to similar stats as their 2.0TDi (at least on paper). A mate of mine had a 1.4TDi VW Polo that managed a maximum of 60mpg whilst I had my forfour 1.3l petrol could achieve the same and whats cheaper to put in your tank?

Anyways, entirely your decision at the end of the day. Just pointing out that an oil burner is not always the solution to a long commute and personally I feel VW is over-rated as a manufacturer - Skoda is much cheaper for similar tech.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
one thing for sure the VAG group cars,audi,vw,seat and skoda are light years ahead of vx,less face it the vx range of diesels are not even vx engines and that says alot to me

·
Registered
637 Posts
one thing for sure the VAG group cars,audi,vw,seat and skoda are light years ahead of vx,less face it the vx range of diesels are not even vx engines and that says alot to me
Germans do good diesels and the Japanese do the best petrol engines. Hyundai (granted they're Korean) use old Mercedes diesel engines, that's crazy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Germans do good diesels and the Japanese do the best petrol engines. Hyundai (granted they're Korean) use old Mercedes diesel engines, that's crazy.
Agreed on both counts there. Our old Mrk 4 Golf had done 160K without fault, the only parts that I replaced during the time we had it - Tyres and bulbs, the engine sounded like a Tank but never let us down. The Jap's make great Petrol Engines, I'm very happy with my Civic VTi, but it does drink the go go juice a lot!

·
Registered
637 Posts
you no your cars crap when another manufacturer makes the engines,this says alot for me
That would be almost every manufacturer using someone else's components including engines. Its called cost saving. By your statement alone you're saying the AC Cobra, for example, should never of come into existence?

·
Registered
503 Posts
In my opinion if you can afford one with not to high mileage is either a BMW 225d or 330d or even a 335d, for how fast these are and they all pull 50+mpg and lowish tax funny enough the newer it is the cheaper the tax and the faster it is with the best mpg....don't believe me take a look :thumbs: my friend has the 170 diesel golf 12 plate and that goes like stink, he fills up close to once a month and drives 60 miles round trip a day so they are very good buddy, you cant go wrong :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts