Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I already know what everyone will say but I need genuine advice and price estimates as I actually want to swap my engine.

Everyone says just buy a vxr but I've had it less than a year and I can't be bothered with going through the whole process again, plus I've done loads of work on my corsa and don't fancy getting rid of it!! It's my baby!!

Anyway I just want to know how to go about swapping from a standard 1.2 to the 1.6T vxr engine. I know people that would be able to get a good price from a professional when it comes to installing, but what else would I have to replace or alter to get it up and running?

I've found a good insurance provider so insuring me wouldn't be too much of an issue, just the mechanical stuff cause I'm still learning.

Also, would it be easier to put a low power turbo on my 1.2? Help please ☺☺

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Be far easier to get the engine transplanted in from a vxr, although by the time you’ve found everything needed, wheels, hubs, driveshafts, suspension units, engine, gearbox, ecu, exhaust and the engine will need programming to your car control unit, you are doing it yourself, the costs are going to go crazy, then getting the insurance sorted it’s going to be major hassle, plus if someone else is doing it for you, will they offer any warranty as they’ll be using second hand parts. If you definitely want to do it then it’d be best talking to someone like regal if your down south, Courtney if you live in Norfolk area or a reputable garage that’s in to tuning Vauxhall’s, least you know it’ll be done right. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ideally a 1.4t engine would be more recommend as there will be less to change then a VXR engine which would cost a ton to do.

I wouldn't bother adding turbo to a 1.2 be little gain from it.

1.2 remap or 1.4 conversion.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Yes, Lloyd’s idea of a 1.4 turbo is a good idea, as if it is the same basic engine that’s used in the fiat 500, assuming the punto and corsa share quite a bit mechanically, there is a 180 bhp version out of the essesse 500. That’d be vxr territory

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Just to tease, regal have a 1.4 turbo kicking out 240 bhp, not sure if cost but given it’s the same corsa/ Meriva/ astra j/ insignia unit it should, in theory, go straight in, and it’s be a drive in drive out conversion. You may need front tyres on standing order though and something to stop your jaw from aching from the huge grin you’ll undoubtedly have!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to tease, regal have a 1.4 turbo kicking out 240 bhp, not sure if cost but given it’s the same corsa/ Meriva/ astra j/ insignia unit it should, in theory, go straight in, and it’s be a drive in drive out conversion. You may need front tyres on standing order though and something to stop your jaw from aching from the huge grin you’ll undoubtedly have!
Thanks for your replies I'm deffos gonna have a look into this rather than a vxr engine. Do you know what kind of things I would have to change with having a more powerful engine? Wish it was as easy as just shotting a bigger engine in, pretty new to the mechanical side of stuff so any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies I'm deffos gonna have a look into this rather than a vxr engine. Do you know what kind of things I would have to change with having a more powerful engine? Wish it was as easy as just shotting a bigger engine in, pretty new to the mechanical side of stuff so any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Just an edit, been in touch with regal and they advised not to go down the 1.4 route! Said they tend to have a lot of problems, I think maybe doing an engine swap is a lost cause

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Certainally swapping the engine is an involved job as brakes, suspension, wheels tyres all need to be thought about, even though you’ve done a fair bit already to your car, keep enjoying it for what it is, yeah others have bigger faster cars but their insurance is going to be more too, not to mention the fuel but as you rightly say, a engine swap is a good idea especially if you get the right one, have you thought about a diesel as they have come on lots in the last few years, thinking a facelift corsa d with the 95 bhp 1.3 in and having a re map to 120, which along with the torque ( how well it pulls in gear) plus it shouldn’t be as involved as a bigger petrol engine to swap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an edit, been in touch with regal and they advised not to go down the 1.4 route! Said they tend to have a lot of problems, I think maybe doing an engine swap is a lost cause
To be perfectly honest the cost of doing any engine conversation will likely mount to just buying a VXR alone.

If your gonna have it long term I'd stick with how it is, remap to add a little extra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little update everyone! Just bought a vxr lol. What a lovely little thing it is 😜

1 - 10 of 10 Posts