Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing a build up of pressure resulting in water being forced out expansion tank vent, radiator pipe at passenger side is hot , but the pipe at drivers side is cold any advice welcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve changed the thermostat today cold pipe now hot so am hoping that’s it sorted 👍🏻👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Something is causing pressure to build in the system and as you have ruled out a stuck thermostat I would try a new cap as I have read they can give problems releasing at too low pressure if that doesn't fix it I would get a pressure test done before spending any more money.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Something is causing pressure to build in the system and as you have ruled out a stuck thermostat I would try a new cap as I have read they can give problems releasing at too low pressure if that doesn't fix it I would get a pressure test done before spending any more money.
This is something I would recommend as the radiator caps have been upgraded.in recent years, but I would buy both, I tried a new old style cap (yellow) and the new version genuine Vauxhall one (black) and whilst both worked for.just felt the old OEM yellow worked better for my vehicle

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Corsa D 1.4 SE Auto.
9 Posts
I am experiencing a build up of pressure resulting in water being forced out expansion tank vent, radiator pipe at passenger side is hot , but the pipe at drivers side is cold any advice welcome
Have you done a compression check on the engine? I experienced something similar to this in the past which turned out to be a leak between one of the cylinders and a coolant gallery between the block and cylinder head. In my case it was a failed head gasket. If you can see any bubbles coming into the expansion tank when you rev the engine it is highly likely your head gasket is leaking.

With regards to the thermostat you could test it in a pan of hot water on your cooker to see if it is opening.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
This is from google images and it doesn't look like the grooves should be there.

How long have you had the car?

Drinkware Tableware Cup Fluid Ingredient

Liquid Fluid Cup Drinkware Ingredient

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had car about 4 months, it must have been like that when we got it as it wasn’t us that drilled it , anyone know why someone would do that and for what reason?

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Had car about 4 months, it must have been like that when we got it as it wasn’t us that drilled it , anyone know why someone would do that and for what reason?
I hope i am wrong but the fact the thermostat was stuck open (as you said you changed it and the pipe was then hot) and that you now have gouges that would let pressure out through the cap makes me wonder if the seller was hiding the beginning signs of a problem that has now got much worse, i cannot think of any other reason someone would do that to the expansion tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My thoughts exactly and even with a new thermostat, any pressure atall is now pushing through that holes they have definitely been drilled, I have ordered a new expansion tank so hoping that will sort it, if not garage it is 😢

1 - 13 of 13 Posts