Vauxhall Corsa-D Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had this problem and know how to sort this or how much to sort it?
It won't play any discs that I put in, won't ever turn them but if I put a disc downloaded to the hard drive in it will play that after a few attempts?
My Xbox is nearly 7 years old so I was expecting it to go soon but if it could be fixed cheap I would sort it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Drives are a pain to sort as they have to be the exact same model that you already have as they are coded with the motherboard.

Probably be cheaper to pick up one of the 360 Slims now you can get em for £50 - £60.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I swapped out my drive a while back but had to use a flashing kit as you need to extract a code from the original drive to pair the new one with the xbox. Unless your planning on flashing it, it would be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand xbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
799 Posts
Is it the older 360 model (basically not slim). As I used to have this problem a lot and finally fixed it. But it all depends if you have the correct disc drive.
If your putting the discs in and all that comes up is "Open Tray" then this fix is for you:
It's called pot tweaking, all you really need is a multimeter and tools to get the xbox open. A quick google should come up with decent tutorials.
Here's a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKp_y6tSFw
I set mine to roughly 4.4k ohms if I can remember and I never had any problems with it.

1 Year later I brought the slim for a very decent price, it's worth the upgrade imo much quieter and faster.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wouldn't try the above, very easy to kill it completely as I played with the pots for a while, while it worked, it didn't last long.

Rather than replace the entire disc drive, just replace the laser unit, mine costed £6 delivered and fixed it properly, haven't had an unread disc error or "open tray" since.

Plenty available on eBay and it's not too difficult to take apart.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wouldn't try the above, very easy to kill it completely as I played with the pots for a while, while it worked, it didn't last long.

Rather than replace the entire disc drive, just replace the laser unit, mine costed £6 delivered and fixed it properly, haven't had an unread disc error or "open tray" since.

Plenty available on eBay and it's not too difficult to take apart.
I do agree that it decreases the life time of the laser, however I did not have any issues until it finally got the rrod almost year later.. Had that xbox for a good 5 years. Replacing drive is the safer option, but with pot tweaking my results with it were good i adjusted the ohms in very small increments and then tested each time if the game loaded.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I do agree that it decreases the life time of the laser, however I did not have any issues until it finally got the rrod almost year later.. Had that xbox for a good 5 years. Replacing drive is the safer option, but with pot tweaking my results with it were good i adjusted the ohms in very small increments and then tested each time if the game loaded.
Wouldn't replace the drive itself, just the laser, as said above replacing the drive is a pain in the bum, due to the serial number being locked into the Xbox firmware.

Mine is over 8 years old, was bought when it was first released, fixed numerous red rings, still runs like new :p

But yeah tweaking the pots is a cheap and easy fix providing you have a multimeter, if you don't I wouldn't attempt it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wouldn't replace the drive itself, just the laser, as said above replacing the drive is a pain in the bum, due to the serial number being locked into the Xbox firmware.

Mine is over 8 years old, was bought when it was first released, fixed numerous red rings, still runs like new :p

But yeah tweaking the pots is a cheap and easy fix providing you have a multimeter, if you don't I wouldn't attempt it.
That's pretty good, i had my rrod professionally fixed it worked and then it came back again after a month and I thought it was about time I got a new one. Also attempting to fix without a multimeter is like trying to cross the motorway blindfolded XD

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are two screws inside the drive, one for DVD one for games. You screw one of them a tiny bit

I did it when i had a 360 worked fine afterwards

Youtube it if you dont believe me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts